Installing gas logs in fireplace

Old 01-07-24, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing gas logs in fireplace

I am trying to install gas logs in my fireplace. The issue seems to be that the burner pan comes with a long gas supply pipe and I am not sure how to fit it in place. As the picture below shows, there is very little space between the pan and the gas supply and no amount of bending can seem to accommodate the length of pipe. Do I need to take apart the flexible gas pipe and get a shorter one? I think I got the right size of the logs. Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-07-24, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,055 Upvotes on 3,638 Posts
Where is the rest of the logs kit ?
Like valve ?
Is there a link to the kit ?

Old 01-08-24, 05:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,232 Upvotes on 1,991 Posts
The long pipe you mention is removeable if you need a different length. The big problem is the logs you've chosen has it's gas connection in almost the same position as your fireplace. Hopefully you can spiral the gas line in a loop and you can make the connection. Worst case it looks like you might have to raise your gas logs up a little bit higher and that would allow enough room to connect the gas line.

Old 01-09-24, 02:49 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PJmax Here is the link to the kit :

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HearthSe...0319/313800916

Pilot Dane
That is an interesting thought. I didn't consider increasing the height. What type of material can I use to increase the height that will be safe in a fireplace?

Also, I once saw a video for a Fire Log set that had like a 90 degree connector on both the incoming Gas supply line as well as the burner pane. They then bend the gas pipe in a U shape. I am wondering if I can do it with this set. Does anyone happen to know what is the name of such a connector and the type of pipe I need to buy?

Appreciate your help on this one.

Old 01-09-24, 04:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,232 Upvotes on 1,991 Posts
Anything fireproof can be used. Pre-cast concrete stepping stones, a piece of Hardie Backer or some thin cut bricks could work.

I don't think 90 fittings will fit but you can certainly try. The problem is the house's gas line is aimed directly at the body of your gas log, AND it's very close to the bottom of the firebox. You'll probably need a 90 there regardless of whether or not you get 90's on the logs. It looks like it will be tight to be able to install a 90 because the gas line is so close to the bottom of the firebox.

Old 01-09-24, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,055 Upvotes on 3,638 Posts
The results look pretty good for a burner that has no air mixer on it.

Install a street ell on the pipe coming out of the wall pointed back ......... 1/2" street ell fitting
Connect the supplied 1/2" Female x 1/2" Flare Adapter on the ell.

The 3/8" Female x 1/2" Flare Adapter that is on the burner needs to be taken off.
You will need to install a 3/8" ..... 3/8" street ell fitting

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: