Fireplace pairing capability non-functional

Old 01-08-24, 04:40 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

The issue revolves around a fireplace purchased directly from Lowes, & indirectly from BLUEGRASS LIVING/FACTORY BUYS DIRECT/PROCOM HEATING. The receiver (RG04-2M) & remote control (RG04-1T) no longer communicate. During the offseason, I removed the batteries as the manual states, to prevent potential leakage. After re-installing the batteries, the fireplace can be turned on manually, but the receiver & remote fail the learning stage. I called PROCOM, since their name is on both devices, & after a 53-minute hold time, was told three things: 1)this is a known problem; 2)the receiver is out of stock; 3)it might be able to be fixed, but not over the phone, as in too technical.

Further Internet research revealed that the "out of stock" receiver was discontinued. Is there a compatible replacement for this receiver? Is there a way to get into the guts of the receiver to rectify the issue. I've tried all the resets listed in the manual. The only noise the receiver makes are 3 rapid beeps when attempting to "learn" & 3 sets of 3 rapid beeps, if held continuously. This step is also in the manual, when installing batteries after the offseason. The manual for the fireplace is for fireplace insert FDF300R.

Last edited by bobioni57; 01-08-24 at 06:23 PM. Reason: rewording
Old 01-09-24, 05:45 AM
B
Received 309 Upvotes on 274 Posts
Is Lowe's warranty still in effect? Does control for manual starting also allow for manual off? Trying to interface a brand X replacement receiver and remote with a brand Y fireplace is near impossible unless you have all the component specification and drawings of the brand Y receiver.

Old 01-09-24, 09:19 AM
B
The Lowes warranty is no longer in effect, in fact, when this whole thing started, Lowes couldn't even tell me who to contact for customer service. I ended up receiving a Lowes email from a rep who "Googled" possible contact information! To think, Lowes is selling a company's product, but had to "Google" the contact information, as opposed to having it on hand? This is today's customer service, which is why doityourself.com exists, for this very reason.

The receiver has a slide switch (ON > REMOTE > OFF). With respect to manual functioning, it works. You can turn the fireplace on as well as off, using the slide switch. The fireplace incorporates a millivolt gas valve & the manufacturer's website states: "The receiver operates on (4) AA batteries, connects to all standard millivolt valves." That's why I asked if a compatible replacement might exist, even if it meant modifying the wiring harness or swapping out the wiring harness.

Old 01-09-24, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,056 Upvotes on 3,639 Posts
That remote sounds like a standard fireplace remote.
Does it connect to the gas valve with two wires.... probably black ?

Do you want a remote that has a built in thermostat or just on/off ?

There are 4-5 different remotes including built in remote thermostat.
Here's a basic replacement remote that will replace yours..... basic remote system.

Old 01-09-24, 08:19 PM
B

The Receiver, PROCOM RG04-2M has a power cord, as well as batteries, as a backup to a power outage & two wires, one black, one red. I believe the receiver is the problem, at least according to PROCOM, it is.

The Remote Control, PROCOM RG04-1T, is a built-in thermostat remote with four function buttons: ON, OFF, MODE, & SET.

If a compatible built-in thermostat remote control is available, that would be my choice.

Back of the receiver with wiring harness connector to the valve

Old 01-10-24, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,056 Upvotes on 3,639 Posts
You are only assuming it's the receiver. It could be either part.
They aren't hard to repair but it needs to be done at a shop.

At this point you need to change the remote system.
Most use only 4 AA batteries for power. That's fine... they typically last at least a year.

I was reading that the UN-3 could replace your receiver but if it's a remote problem... you are in the same boat....... Remotes

On the same page...... I like the Casmer replacement remote system (69.99) and will probably try one.
Looks to be a good choice for your application.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: