Installing firebrick in a stove without it

Old 03-10-24, 10:11 AM
S
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Installing firebrick in a stove without it

Would there be any advantage for better heat output by installing firebrick in a wood stove that does not have any by design? I'm thinking no. I have some on hand, not sure if they're the refactory type. I did install them in the back of the stove for a while. They did absorb and retain quite a bit of hit. but I'm not sure that's an advantage. That could be heat that would have been dissipated from the stove into the room?

I took them out, if I had to guess the heat output seems marginally better without them. The stove is a Vermont castings Dutchwest, I think the 2461 model. The main reason I tried the firebricks was to try to reduce the amount of wood I go through a bit by effectively reducing the firebox capacity. As expected, I'm using more wood than my previous smaller stove, but probably putting out more heat. Just wanted to run it by those here that have experience and are knowledgeable in the subject.

Old 03-10-24, 11:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,235 Upvotes on 1,994 Posts
Fire brick is used to protect something from the heat of the fire. Adding fire brick essentially insulates the firebox so less heat can get to the steel and into the room and sends more heat up and out the flue. I would remove them from the stove.

stevek66 voted this post useful.
Old 03-10-24, 01:02 PM
S
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
They have been removed from the stove, it was a temporary experiment. You've confirmed what I believed. The (very) old stove I had previously was constructed with fire bricks, probably to protect the not as thick steel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: