wood stove set up in fire place

Old 09-25-01, 05:12 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question

To any and all:
Is it possible to install a small wood stove into a fireplace? Is the much conversion that needs to be done?
Would the hook up of the flue be an issue? Any info would help. Thanks.

Old 09-25-01, 10:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes it is possible and recommended. Not much conversion is needed depending on how efficient you want the stove to operate. Just install the stove and hook up the pipe to the flue will get you by, but the most efficient way is a little more involved. To maximize the heat output and maintain that heat in your home will require you to install a chimney liner with a size recommended by the manufacturer (costs around $35- $50 per foot). Proper "draft" is neccessary for optimum burning in wood stoves. Other than that, there really is no magic in installing the stove. I have a Vermont Castings Winterwarm Large fireplace insert that (over)heats my 2200sq ft home that has saved me approx $150 in electric bills per month during the cold season. This thing CRANKS out the heat! I did all my research at this site: http://www.hearth.com/forums.html
You will find all you ever wanted to know about heating with fire. Be sure to check out the Q & A section before asking any questions! Some people frown on that. Good luck and i hope this helps.

Tony

Old 09-28-01, 07:35 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
hello
keep in mind ...a fireplace insert is made to go into a fireplace, installed following directions it is safe and easy to install a wood stove not intended for fireplace install could have problems...and would not be safe and not meet building code...Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: