fireplace usage

Old 10-24-01, 07:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question

i just bought a house that has a fireplace...the fireplace, according to the inspector has never had a wood burning fire in it...the chimney is extremely clean, the bricks in the back of the fireplace have no soot or blackened residue from a wood burning fire...there are some old, small gas logs that are hooked up to a 5-gallon propane tank outside in the carport...the gas line is coming out of the fireplace cleanout door...

my question is simple...is there any reason i can't take the gas logs out and use it with wood??? I prefer wood burning fireplaces vs. gas logs...i know i am a nut, but i love the whole process of putting the logs on, lighting the fire, keeping it going, poking the fire, and the smell...

please give any advice on what i need to do, or need to check out in order to make it a wood burning fireplace...

thanks...michael

Old 10-24-01, 03:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

First, open the damper and shine a flashlight up the chimney flue to make sure that it is clean and clear of birdnests, debris, etc. all the way out the top.
The chimney should have a fired clay, stainless steel or concrete flue liner (anything but plain brick) with no obstructions.
If you have any doubt, have it inspected by a professional chimney sweep or mason to make sure that it IS constructed as a woodburning fireplace, and in good repair.
Remove the gas log unit and gas line.
Get a carbon dioxide alarm to be installed in the room.
Get a spark rug to go in front of the hearth.
If it doesn't already have a screen, get a fireplace screen, or better yet get a set of glass fireplace doors with screen to control heat loss and prevent sparks (very easy to install...just four bolts to tighten on the inside against the fireplace opening).
At first, build a small fire in the back half of the fireplace to get it drawing properly. If it starts smoking into the room, crack a window to equalize air pressure so that the chimney will draw the smoke out. Leave the window cracked, if necessary. Fireplaces sometimes have a hard time drawing properly in modern, air-tight homes.
Use only hardwood firewood, mixing it two green pieces to one seasoned piece, once you have a bed of coals, for best wood energy efficiency. Use pine only for kindling (it builds up creosote too rapidly).
Have the chimney cleaned and inspected (preferably with a video camera) ANNUALLY, if the soot and creosote cover all of the flue liner so that you can't tell the liner color with a flashlight inspection.
Enjoy your fireplace! (I have two woodburning FPs...a large one in the great room downstairs, and a regular 36" one in our master bedroom upstairs. They're worth all of the extra work. NOTHING beats a woodburning fire. We love them, too!)
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 10-25-01, 01:14 AM
Question fireplace

mike...

thanks for all the information...you have helped me in so many other areas in this forum...

thanks...michael

Old 11-04-01, 11:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Fireplace

Mike, what is a spark rug? I live in a very small town and don't know if i can even get one here.

Thanks,

Tina

Old 11-04-01, 03:14 PM
Cool

A spark rug is any small rug that you put in front of the hearth to protect the primary room carpet from sparks (especially when the fireplace screen is open, like when adding wood to the fire).
Perferably, it is fire-retardent, but it can be most any inexpensive rug that you don't mind getting a few burns on rather than on your good carpet.
I have a black one with long pile that helps hide the inevitable pop-out spark burns that would really show up on our light gray wall-to-wall carpet if it weren't there.
They make fire-retardent spark rugs, but as long as you get one that won't burn easily, it should be o.k.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 11-05-01, 02:57 AM
fired clay???

mike...

you mentioned in your post that the fire place needs to have fired clay...well...the back of the fireplace (the part you put you burning wood in)as well as the sides are a light colored brick...not like ordinary brick houses are made of...it is a little darker than the color of tan...does that make sense??? is that fired clay???

also, if i remember correctly from the initial house inspection, the flue liner is made of a redish clay looking material...similar to the color of terra cotta...is this ok???

also, where do i find the caps to put on the tops of chimneys to keep the rain from coming down...

thanks...michael

Old 11-05-01, 03:29 AM
michael,
The light-colored bricks in the firebox are called fire bricks, and are made to withstand direct fire heat.
The flue you describe sounds like a good fired-clay flue liner, and should be O.K., as long as the mortar between them is in good shape, and they're cleaned annually.
Building supply houses, fireplace stores, chimney sweeps, etc. all should have or have sources for chimney caps. You can even have them custom-made by metal-working companies.
There are lots of different types and sizes.
If it is real windy in your area, you might want to consider a swivel-type cap that turns downwind, as well as keeping the rain and snow out.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: