Fireplace "floor"

Old 12-12-01, 12:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Fireplace "floor"

I have a house built in the 1920's with a fireplace. There is a crack (probably due to settling) through one of the grout lines. I'm assuming it would be dangerous to use in this condition. Is this true? I've heard that I should get mortar with fire clay in it. What kind of grout/mortar should I get to fill this in? I would like to get it in workable condition again. What kind of store sells this kind of mortar?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 12-22-01, 10:54 PM
nucman
Visiting Guest
You should be able to buy fireclay at any brick and masonary supply yard. It is a powder that you add to mortar mix. Ask the salesman at the supply yard on specific amounts to add.

More important since your fireplace is 80 years old there may be more cracks than just the one visible, especially in areas you can't easily see such as in the chiminey liner itself. These cracks could lead directly to combustible material, ie your house framing. You should have a liscensed professional come and make a complete inspection before using it.

Old 12-30-01, 02:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Thanks for the clue. I did have the flue all checked out and cleaned a few months back, but just needed to deal with the crack.
Thanks again,

Chris

Old 12-30-01, 10:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yep.
An annual cleaning and video inspection is a must, especially for old chimneys.
Many people (unlike you) just don't realize what a fire hazard they can be.
I've seen more than one house go down due to chimney fires.
My two woodburners were built in 1978, and as much as we love fireplace fires and use them, I keep close tabs on their condition.
New concrete or stainless steel liners are expensive, but sooner or later, old chimneys need to go there.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-05-02, 12:50 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
HELLO
THIS MAY SOUND LIKE AN OVER KILL BUT EVERY THING SAID ABOUT A liscensed professional AND video inspection IS VERY IMPORTANT.......OLD MORTER DOES COME OUT AND IF YOU HAVE ONE PROBLEM MORE THERE OR WILL COME WITH USE......SHOULD YOU USE THE FIRE PLACE AFTER MAKING JUST ONE REPAIR IT SHOULD BE CHECKED SOON AFTER FOR MORE PROBLEMS THEY WILL KEEP COMING NOT GO AWAY.....80 YEARS OLD IS OLD FOR A FIREPLACE....GOOD LUCK

Old 01-06-02, 10:22 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Professional chimney inspection

One can not be too cautious when it comes to chimneys. A licensed chimney professional should inspect your chimney on a regular basis and clean as needed. The professional will be able to reline an unsafe chimney and install a proper cap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: