burning

Old 12-26-01, 05:09 PM
Visiting Guest
burning

I AM USING REAL WOOD IN MY FIREPLACE FOR THE FIRST TIME WITH NO LUCK. ONCE I GET THE FIRE GOING IT ONLY LAST FOR A FEW MINUTES AND DIES OUT. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? WHEN I USE THE FAKE WOOD IT DOES NOT HAPPEN. THEY BURN FOR THREE HOURS WITH NO PROBLEMS. CAN IT BE THE WOOD? ANY ADVICE WOULD BE HELPFUL. THANK YOU.

Old 12-26-01, 10:43 PM
rwmeyer
Visiting Guest
If you can burn "fake" wood without any problems, I definately say your "real" wood IS the problem. Do you start with small wood first (kindling) and then add larger, say 1" to 2", and finally "full" size 4' or bigger? Starting the fire is the hardest part. After it's going it's easy! Use plenty of paper, preferably newspaper and NOT colored "flyers", add small twigs, trimmings from a saw or other domestic/construction wood and top with wood about an inch or two in size. Let this burn 'till you get a bed of coals and then add more 2" and then larger. Hope this helps and keep us posted. Bob

Old 01-08-02, 03:56 PM
amh
Visiting Guest
Here's my tried and true girl scout method for reliable fires:

First:
Use only wood that you've "cured". Put your wood in a dry place and let it sit there for a while. The longer it dries the better it burns. If it's too wet it won't burn long. Haul it into the garage or the porch (or hearthside) and let it dry out.

Second:
Roll up several pieces of newspaper and stuff it under the grate or log holder. The more the merrier. I made newspaper "logs" and stuff them under. Then add twigs and small pieces of wood and sticks you've gathered on top of the log holder. You can get kindling from the store that contains "fat" so it burns well...but if you have a yard you can gather your own from what's fallen off trees. It's free.

Third:
Arrange three pieces of wood (logs) on top so that they criss cross each other and leave plenty of space for air circulation. Fire needs air to burn. If the logs are snug up against each other they smother the fire.

Fourth:
Light the paper. Enjoy the fire.

Note: Leave the ashes until there are alot there. Only clean the ashes out when they start to smother the space under the log holder. Old ashes insulate the new hot embers and keep the fire going longer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: