removing paint from marble

Old 01-17-02, 04:24 AM
G
Visiting Guest
Question removing paint from marble

Does anyone know the best way to remove gloss paint from marble fireplaces?

I have been told that some things dissolve the stone. Can i use paintstripper or do i have to scrape the paint off, as i am worried about scratching it?

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks,

Jennb

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-02, 06:57 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing paint from marble

Go to www.ntc-stone.com and ask Fred. If anyone knows the anwer he does. Let us know what you find out.

Old 01-19-02, 12:25 PM
H
hy
Visiting Guest
removal of paint from marble

Either PEEL AWWAY I or PEEL AWAY 7 will do your job. Visit the web site at www.peelaway.com

Old 01-19-02, 01:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing paint from marble

Forum members tend to recommend the citrus-based strippers because they are environmentally friendly and tend not to contain the harmful chemicals that many other strippers do.

The MSDS for Peel Away I recommends that you do not breathe the mist. It can cause severe burns of eyes with possible permanent damage. It may cause chemical burns to skin with repeated exposure possibly causing dermatitis. Individuals with chronic respiratory or skin diseases should not use this product. Appropriate protective clothing should be worn, goggles, gloves, and respirator. Prevent run off to sewers and waterways.

The MSDS for Peel Away 7 reports irritating and toxic fumes. Vapors can be explosive when mixed with air. Avoid eye and skin contact and breathing vapors. Wear protective clothing. Remove ignition sources because vapors can be explosive. Prevent run off to sewers and waterways.

Always read and follow product directions and take all recommended precautions.

Old 01-19-02, 09:04 PM
H
hy
Visiting Guest
removal of old paint

I have just posted a reply to you on another question but the same thing applies here. PEEL AWAY 7 contains the same type chemicals that are in your favorite "citrus stripper" and is NOT combustible as the citrus stripper is. In addition, PEEL AWAY 7 will remove almost all of the paint in a,single application every time and there is NO WAY that citrus strip will do the same. Again I suggest you also check the MSDS for the Citrus strip product . Anytime that you wanted to perform a head to head test I would be glad to arrange it on any substrate or any coatings. The suggestion to use methylene chloride removers and or citrus products to remove multiple layers of paint only leads to excessive labor on the job. Visit the we site at www.peelaway.com and you can see for yourself some of the projects where the products have been used. For the DIY'er who has questions on this web site I assure you PEEL AWAY will perform all of the time.