Need Advice on Reconditioning Fireplace


  #1  
Old 02-01-02, 06:56 AM
Guest
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Need Advice on Reconditioning Fireplace

Hello All!

I have a fireplace which is currently inoperable. The brick on the inside has been painted over with white paint (ugly). Haven't used it since I've moved in because I want to make sure everything is working correctly, but I have NOT the first clue about fireplace maintenance, possible problems with the mortar in the outside bricks, etc.

By the way, the outside brick is covered in ivy. I plan to take it off this spring to check the condition of the brick work.

Please, if anyone has any advice, guidance, etc., about how to get a long-dormant fireplace back into safe, but not necesarily efficient, operation, please let me know. I sure would appreciate it.

Best regards,

Juanito
 
  #2  
Old 02-01-02, 08:10 AM
toucansam
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
We had simular concerns when we bought this 84 year old home. It had been so long since the fireplace was used that a pine tree covered the top of the chimney and extended 8 feet above it. We opted to have a professional chimney sweep clean and inspect it. When he removed the logs that were stacked in the fireplace, there were crumpled newspapers dated 1969 under them. Behind the logs were three brand new firebricks that didn't have even a smudge of soot on them. Someone had professionally replaced those bricks and never used the fireplace again. We've been enjoying the fireplace for 3 years now without a problem. In your situation, I would be concerned about the paint. The combination of paint and a dirty chimney could lead to a nasty chimney fire.
 
  #3  
Old 02-02-02, 09:24 PM
moee
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Is chimney safe

For around $70.00 or less you can get your chimney cleaned by a certified chimneysweep and inspected.I don,t know about the vines.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: