How should I frame this wall??

Old 03-17-04, 04:01 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How should I frame this wall??

Hi,

This wall currently has the electrical panel mounted to plywood which is directly attached to the concrete wall. How should I frame this wall?

http://www.buggdog.com/panel1.jpg
http://www.buggdog.com/panel2.jpg

I was thinking of framing around the plywood since that would be the easiest to do.

I would appreciate any suggestions and/or tips for framing this wall

Thanks,
Lou

Old 03-17-04, 05:06 PM
I would stud the wall with 2X4. looks like that is what you are useing . Cut one for each side of the elec.panel there and rip them off so they fit on top of the plywood an flush with the front of the wall. Just box around it but have it so you can take the front of it off ok is all. Dont know code there but have seen lots of them have some kind of door over the whole thing. That you had to open up to see the panel. ED

Old 03-18-04, 09:10 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Fir it out with 2 5/8" steel studs. Easy to use. If you feel you need help. Home Depot offers a coarse on how to install. If you don't want to go through that, contact me directly and I will walk you though it. E-mailis in the profile.

Old 03-20-04, 05:27 AM
B
Thanks for the info Ed and boardslinger.

Boardslinger -

i dont think i want to use steel studs as I have already framed everything else with wood and I should have just enough wood left over to frame this wall also, but thanks for the tip.

Ed -

So what you are saying is box around the current electrical panel and not the big piece of plywood. correct? And there is no requirement that I have to remove the plywood before building a wall in front of it? Also, I am assuming since you said it, that it is not against coide to have the panel behind an access panel? Im not sure I would put a door but Im just asking.

Thanks so much for the help. I will be framing the wall today. when im done i will post a pic and maybe you can tell me if i did it right or wrong :-)

Thanks!!

Old 03-21-04, 05:01 PM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
I would stud the walls with a standard 2X4 so I could properly insulate them and use 2X3 in the panel areas. Leave the paneling, it won't hurt a thing. The outside of the electric box looks good. Looks like my home!!

Old 03-21-04, 05:18 PM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
O.K. no steel. You can still fir it out using wood. Just keep the framing back 1/2" or 5/8" back so that when you rock it, it hits smoothly with the panel. Use L bead around the panel so you get a nice glazing around the panel, when you mud. Good Luck.

Old 07-13-04, 01:23 PM
J
im not an electrician by any means....but I can hold my own and I'm pretty sure that you can't cover your service panel with anything, has to be in sight and accessible. You might ask an electrician...or ask on the electrical forum to make sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: