Unique framing problem??

Old 03-21-04, 07:35 PM
Allsbury
Visiting Guest
Unique framing problem??

I need some advice. I am working on finishing the basement in my 1925 bungalow. The basement foundation is poured in what appears to be 2' slabs.

Two exixting doors are framed into the poured concrete foundation/slab of the house. This concrete is 6" deep. I am framing 1.5 inches off the wall with 2 x 4's. If I move the doors out to the framed wall what do I do with the 6-8" space this creates? Is it okay to remove these doors?

Does anyone have experience here? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chad

Old 03-22-04, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cant you let the doors where they are and box the wall out to them or as its called the return. Out of wood are drywall to their trim or their jam. ED

Old 04-02-04, 05:32 PM
T
Basement Exterior Door

I also have a 1920's bungalow, and am trying to figure out how to handle the exterior door. I am framing around the perimeter concrete slab wall with 2x3 25gauge metal stud. When I get to the door, what do I do?
1.Rehang door on inside frame?
2. Allow 3.5" depth alcove on inside of door
The door needs to be replaced and i want to frame/hang the new one effectively.

Thanks,

Tim Milan

Old 04-02-04, 05:49 PM
. Allow 3.5" depth alcove on inside of door
I would for sure .I would make it wider there so the door can swing in ok. Also turn the steel studs on each side of the wall there [ ] and put a 2x4 in each to face to face at the door opening. It will give you some thing to nail to .

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: