Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

floor joist

Visiting Guest

03-25-04, 12:01 PM   #1  
kellieparker20
floor joist

Two of my floor joist have been cut in half for plumbing installation at the first floor. How if fix?

I also have two floor joist that are cracked? How do I fix this?

Sponsored Links

MO

03-25-04, 01:56 PM   #2  
That really isn't enough info to go off of

What is the span of the joists? If you were to header them off what span joist would they be connecting too?

Is the plumbing in the way so that you can not scab(sister) another along side of the cracked ones?

Last edited by A_unique_name; 03-30-04 at 06:53 AM.

MO

03-28-04, 05:18 AM   #3  
I'd sister in the cracked joists, now the plumbing issue will be a bit more of a challenge, can't imagine a plumber sawing thru a floor joist to run the pipes, they normally drill thru them to run plumbing. A bit more info is needed to give you a definitive answer for that, or better yet post a link to a picture of the situation if at all possible.

03-28-04, 07:50 AM   #4  
Aha! So THIS is the thread where I was deleted!

I just got a "replied to a thread you have subscribed to..." email.

But I can't see my post.

Gee, all I said was "sue your relative who chopped up the joists and hire a pro". Anything wrong with that?

MO

03-28-04, 08:58 PM   #5  
That wasn't me Steve, I did delete a duplicate post you had in another thread, can't say that I disagree with ya to an extent, but that would maybe violate rules here about negative postings, but I'm sure it was meant tongue in cheek.

Visiting Guest

09-01-04, 01:17 PM   #6  
Zaniac
Floor Joist

I am having a new home built and also discovered that the plumbers cut completely through 2 sections of the main support joist. The Home inspector immediately requested an Engineer's report from the Contractor, however I am a little concerned over this as I am expected to be moving into the house shortly. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Zaniac; 09-01-04 at 01:36 PM.

09-01-04, 02:00 PM   #7  
I cannot believe this board ate my response

In a nutshell:

If you changed any of the floorplan during the construction phase it may be that the plumber who laid the pipes in the basement was unable to foresee what side of the beam the plumbing would be on.

If that's so, you will need to bite the bullet, tolerate the stuctural remedy that is proposed, and avoid any other change orders during construction.

I am assuming you are speaking of the steel backbone that runs the length of the house, in the middle of the basement.

If you changed the floorplan during construction, the remedy most likely is going to be on your checkbook.

My speculation is you may need to weld up a repair section into the beam, cut up the concrete floor in the basement and reroute the drainpipes.

Last edited by SteveBausch; 09-01-04 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Your PHP is ****ed up and ate my initial message

Search this Thread