Skiing in the Kitchen

Old 03-29-04, 08:13 PM
Skiing in the Kitchen

I am in the process of installing ceramic in a kitchen. I am applying plywood on top of subfloor, however in the middle of the sink is a joist that appears to be 1/2" too high in comparison to the rest. Do I cut out the subfloor and chisel off 1/2" off the joist or do I just let it go? Now is the time to do it right. I think it will look quite stupid laying ceramic on it as it is. Thanx,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-04, 08:53 AM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
I don't understand middle of sink?

I wouldn't cut the joist as that is holding up the floor. Before you put ceramic, find out why the rest of the floor is sagging.

Old 03-30-04, 07:02 PM
High Joist

Sorry I should have been more definitive. The high point of the entire subfloor is where you stand while washing dishes(very noticable). The joists are all flush with the subfloor. It is just this one joist appears to be 1/2" high. Can I remove the subfloor and chisel 1/2' off the joist then replace the floor, or do I try to sand 1/2' down. On top of the subfloor I am applying plywood . Thanx.

Old 03-30-04, 09:07 PM
Do not cut that joist down a 1/2", especially if you laying ceramic tile in here.

Really need to figure out why the rest of the floor is sagging. This is a remodel, new const, what?

Any kind of tile or stone has minimum deflection requirements which must be adhered to or else the installation will fail.

Tell us more about the overall situation.

Old 03-31-04, 06:09 AM
This home is a bungalow built in 1984, The joists are 2"x10" with 16" centers. The rest of the floor is level except this one joist. I dont believe all the other joists have saged. The sub floor is 19/32" tongue and groove. If I lay a level accross the subfloor above the joist I have 1/2" play on each side like a tedder todder. I cant really take the entire kitchens subfloor off because of oak cabinets. Am wondering what to do?

Old 03-31-04, 03:39 PM
I think your best answer is going to be using SLC (self-leveling cement) to level out the floor & give you a level flat floor over which to lay tile.

Also need to know the span of the floor joist to comment on whether or not this is a suitable for tile. (How far do the 2"x10"s run between supports?)

Old 03-31-04, 05:33 PM
The joists span 12' from support. I dont understand how self leveling compound works? I would be tiling approx 20'x 12" minus cabinetry. Seems like a lot of leveling compound to me. What would or could happen if I shaved 1/2" off this joist. Thank You Awesome for your previous replies. I should tell you that this house is in a previous mining town, in other words they built this entire town rather quick. IHD.

Old 03-31-04, 10:11 PM
With your speed bump in the the middle of the floor, I think the slc is the way to go.

Here's a link that gives a good crash course. ABC's of slc
Take a look & post back with your specific questions. As long as the joists are in good shape, your set-up is ok for ceramic, no natural stone though.

Take a look at that link & get back to me.