Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

subfloor over cement

Visiting Guest

04-03-04, 06:50 PM   #1  
wthomas69
subfloor over cement

i am turning my attached 2 car garage into a dining room and mudroom, i plan on raising the floor by using 2x6s on edge and 3/4" plywood on top of that. i have NEVER had a problem with water from outside getting in the garage so everything is very dry. should i insulate under the subfloor between the 2x6s?, if so with what, 2" foam or r13 batts, i know i don't want the insulation to touch the concrete, i was advised NOT to put poly down on concrete first because if i ever had a spill it would never dry (the concrete is pourous, very occasionally i would pull a snow covered car into the garage and the melted runoff would be absorbed into the concrete within 24-36 hours). any suggestions are appreciated!

Sponsored Links

MO

04-04-04, 08:11 AM   #2  
I think the iinsulation would be a good idea myself. I think the batts stapled in between the joists is your best & easiest bet. Good luck & let us know if you run into anymore questions with your project.

MO

04-07-04, 08:56 AM   #3  
since these will be on concrete

don't forget to use pressure treated. Also most garage floors slope so I suggest finding the highest point and place first sleeper there and shim the others to that height. Of course you could do the complete opposite and find the lowest point and rip the others down to height.

Visiting Guest

07-04-04, 01:31 PM   #4  
neothebuider
Also doing room in garage

We are also building a new room in our garage. We have laid self level concreate to get the floor to a level point. Do we have to build a subfloor? We are not planing on putting anything other then a woodflooring type in the room.

Any help would help!!!

07-05-04, 11:43 PM   #5  
Wood is warmer. It's not necessary to put a subfloor in. Tile would go great over a concrete floor and you can drill (masonry bit) through it and use a 22 load nail gun to attach 2 by 4 sills for interior walls if necessary. Pergo type flooring would "float" over a cement floor and be warmer to the feet but traditional wood flooring would need to be nailed into a subfloor.

MO

07-06-04, 09:02 PM   #6  
Hello Neo & welcome to the forums!

JeffK is definitely right about the wood floor being warmer and if you live in the northern part of the country, I would really advise going with a wood subfloor over the concrete slab and add some insulation in the dead space between your subfloor framing especially if this new room is to be used as a den, extra bedroom, or anyplace where you will spend time barefooted or in your socks.

Good luck with your project & let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Search this Thread