plywood subfloor

Old 04-21-04, 12:30 PM
redux
Visiting Guest
Question plywood subfloor

Hello, I am remodeling a room in my garage that has unevenly worn, thirty year old linoleum on cement. I plan to put a plywood subfloor to create an even surface for hardwood flooring. My question is how do I attach the subfloor since I cannot nail it. Also, should I use some visquene (sic) or something for moisture prevention? If so, where? -- under or over the subfloor? Can you tell I am new at this? Thanks for any help--- redux

Old 04-22-04, 06:03 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you have a couple of options

(1) place furring strips on concrete then apply sheathing. The furring strips are going to have to be pressure treated. Also you are going to want it level so you are going to have to either find the lowest point and work up from there or the highest point and work down from there.
(2) pressure treated plywood. You are still going to have to shim to get level. If you just place it over the concrete it is going to just as bad as the existing.

I would personally choose #1

Old 04-22-04, 03:01 PM
redux
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up more on evening floor

thanks for the reply. In either case, how does it adhere-- do I glue the furring or plywood to what is there now? Thanks.

Old 04-23-04, 12:50 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a couple of methods are available

(1) liquid nails should do the trick. Make sure you get one that is heavy duty to deal with the moiture. This would be the least intrusive and my personal choice.
(2) you could use a concrete or cut nail but I don't like creating holes in concrete if I don't have too.

Just to clearify:
"thirty year old linoleum on cement"
This must come up before you try to glue down the furring strips. Otherwise if you glue the furring strips to the linoleum when ever it comes loose so will your floor.

Also you might want to check with the company providing the flooring. I am not sure that you really want to use hardwood flooring in such a high humidity area such as a garage. Might be ok if this area is all conditioned now. I think you should check the supplier though

Last edited by A_unique_name; 04-26-04 at 06:13 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: