Subflooring

Old 04-23-04, 07:22 PM
Nicole2000
Visiting Guest
Question Subflooring

A friend of mine and I are in the process of remodeling a bathroom. I pulled up all of the old tile. The only problem is there has been some severe water damage to the subflooring. Neither one of us has done something like this before and I was hoping you could help me out be telling us how we should go about replacing the subflooring. We are replacing ceramic tile with vinyl tiles. Can you tell us exactly what we are going to need for the subflooring? I'm pretty sure that it is particle board, but not for certain. I would really love some help.

Thanks

Old 04-24-04, 05:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello Nicole & welcome to the forums.

Surely the original builder didn't set ceramic directly over a particle board subfloor. If so, it's no surprise that it failed, now there are folks that do set tile directly over a plywood subfloor, but myself I always use a backerboard or other suitable substrate like ditra.

What's the condition of the floor now? Still wet, seams swelled up giving you an uneven surface? If so I'd recommend you pull it up & replace either with some 5/8" or 3/4" TIG subflooring, or better yet IMO is exterior grade plywood. Tell us a bit more about the condition of the subfloor that you now have exposed since removing your tile.

Old 04-24-04, 07:15 AM
Nicole2000
Visiting Guest
The flooring isn't wet, but it is soft. When I was pulling up the old tile, about a 1/4" of the flooring would still be attached to the tile, where there had been damage done. The floor is uneven and very rough. What would be the easiest way for us to get the flooring up to replace it?

Old 04-24-04, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it's just nailed down, a couple of flat pry bars would do the trick, if it's screwed down, use a cordless drill with approriate size bit & remove the screws. From the description in your last post, that definitely needs to go. Have you removed all of the fixtures already?, sink, stool, tub, I would completely gut the room prior to starting on the floor & then rip every bit of that old stuff out of there, then you can inspect the floor joists to make sure they're in good condition prior ro proceeding with laying a new subfloor material, with for a bathroom, should always be exterior grade plywood.

Keep us informed & we'll talk thru this as best we can. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: