Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Install floor to fixtures or under fixtures?

Visiting Guest

04-27-04, 05:48 PM   #1  
wilesre
Install floor to fixtures or under fixtures?

I am so glad I found this forum!

I've read the rules and I hope I am posting in the right forum. This question really has alot more to do with floors than bathrooms.

I gutted the bathroom of my 40 yr old house. I have removed everything to the studs. I also removed the particle board (1/2") that was under the linoleum because it was generally flaking away and rotten around the toilet. The subfloor is okay.

I'll be installing a fiberglass tub. I understand that the tub goes in first, then the drywall, paint, and then the cabinets and toilet. I noticed that the old particle board had been installed up to -not under- the tub and cabinets. I did not expect this and now I am confused. When do I install the particle board and new linoleum? Should I install the tub and cabinets before the floor? Or install the floor over the entire room and then install the tub and cabinets? What about a vapor barrier?

Thanks,
wilesre

Sponsored Links

MO

04-29-04, 05:25 AM   #2  
I suspect the old subflooring didn't go under the tub, because it was remodeled previously. Normally you would have the subflooring under all the fixtures. Also you mentioned using particle board for your replacement subfloor, that's not really kosher, particle board shouldn't be used. Personally when I build I use exterior grade plywood for subflooring, which is the best way to go, other option would be to go with the regular TIG oriented strand board subfloor material. Also called chip board, but it would be much better than particle board especially in a bathroom. Hope that helps.

Search this Thread