Vinyl Tile On Sub Flooring

Old 04-30-04, 05:01 PM
dragonstar
Visiting Guest
Question Vinyl Tile On Sub Flooring

I am preparing to put down vinyl tile in my living room. Already did the kitchen and half bath that adjoin (very easy, since it was vinyl tile over vinyl sheet). Now the catch. Turns out there is quarter inch plywood in both the kitchen and half bath. But this plywood is not under the living room. Is this subflooring? The floor that is under the carpet is quite smooth and level (checked that). It appears to be sort of like particle board but not exactly. The townhouse is about 10-15 years old. My question really is do I need to lay the quarter inch plywood over what is there or can I lay the vinyl tile on the flooring that is under the carpet? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreaciated!

Old 04-30-04, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dragonstar,

Usually 5/8" particle board underlayment is used under carpet. This is probably what you have in the living room. Since we are using adhesive, I'd recommend placing 1/4" plywood underlayment.

1/2" or 5/8" underlayment plywood is used under vinyl floors. This is usually staped and then any divits are puttied to ensure a perfectly flat surface. The latter can be omitted and 1/4" underlayment is applied over the existing subfloor, which is usually 3/4" boards or plywood.

Many do-it-yourselfers use particleboard underlayment because it's less expensive than plywood. Remember though, particleboard isn't as strong and is more apt to deteriorate over time. Particleboard works fine for many underlayment applications, but overall, for sheet vinyl I would recommend using APA-approved, underlayment grade plywood 1/2" or thicker.

(Go through all the steps when you get to this link)
http://www.flooringpages.com/vinylfl...floorintro.htm

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: