Attic framing: vertical 2x4s

Old 05-03-04, 10:29 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

In the middle of my circa 1964 attic there are several 2x4 beams set vertically between the joists below and the main beam at the top of the roof line. The vertical 2x4s are set perpendicular to the joists and in line with the main roof beam. They are nailed but don't appear to be attached too well - the bottom junction has just 2x2 connection area. I haven't found any attic framing drawings that show a similar structure.

Do you usually see these 2x4 beams installed as part of the supporting structure?
Might these vertical 2/4s have been used as an alignment aid when the roof was originally framed?
Are they still needed?

Old 05-04-04, 07:26 AM
Could be they were just used for support during the framing and are no longer necessary, also could be that they are part of the structural support of that beam. Impossible to know without actually seeing what you're talking about first hand.

If you can post a link to some pics, we might be able to assist you, otherwise I would contact a somebody local knowledable in framing & have them take a look. Sorry can't be of more help.

Old 05-18-04, 11:09 AM
L
Here's the photo

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lac...bum?.dir=/e94e

Hopefully this works. Here is the photo of my attic with the vertical supports:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lac...bum?.dir=/e94e

Do these vertical supports appear necessary? On each side of the ridge you might see additional support about 4-5 feet below the ridge.

Old 05-18-04, 01:34 PM
cookin7
Visiting Guest

Those definitely don't look structural to me. I'm sure they were used to initially support the ridge while the rafters were being installed.

Why are you asking? Do you want to remove them or something?

Old 05-19-04, 06:44 AM
howdo
Visiting Guest
I wouldn't be so fast to remove them. I've seen this king post arrangement many times installed as an alternative to using collar ties, when the joist don't run parallel to the rafters. However, the ridge board appears to be of sufficient size, so if the joist do run parallel to the rafters, and the spacing is such that you achieve a good attachment between rafter and joist, at least every third rafter, it's likely that you could remove the vertical braces.

Note that the possible purpose for these braces would be to prevent, or remedy, roof sag. The structure is such that the ridge cannot sag, provided the walls cannot move outward, hence the need to tie the walls to the roof frame as I mentioned earlier.

Another thing to look for is where the braces actually bear. If they sit on a bearing wall, then they're actually able to pickup some load. If they sit midspan on a joist, without a strong-back, then they're superfluous, and would only transmit roof sag into ceiling sag.

Finally, if you choose to remove them, just be cognizant of the weight placed on the braces while you're removing. I'm always reluctant to remove anything that appears to carry significant weight, without providing alternative support.

I hope this helps,
Dave

Old 07-13-04, 01:30 PM
J
looks like in the pics that the "posts" in question are in the center of the roof...if thats so, I can't see where they would be doing any supporting of anything, the roof rafters would have to actually come THROUGH each other, or the tail ends would have to move outward for the center of the roof to sag, both very unlikely. On the other hand, if they're not in the way, its not going to hurt to leave them in, but I'm assuming thats why you're asking, you want to take them out.

Old 07-19-04, 06:58 AM
A
I think those

vertical memebers were being used as the attachment method from the taller vertical posts to the horizontal framing member above.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: