Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Load bearing beam looks bad but foundation walls are 20ft. apart

Load bearing beam looks bad but foundation walls are 20ft. apart

Old 05-04-04, 09:12 PM
Clinton
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Load bearing beam looks bad but foundation walls are 20ft. apart

I am not sure how urgent my problem is. I have a old fat wooden beam as a load bearer on concrete collumns (80 year old house). It is spongy on the outside but no sign of termites. Joists running over it are also supported by foundation walls about 20 ft apart. What and how can I fix this problem? Or do you think I could just box it in and go on living the way it is?

Thanks,
Clinton

Old 05-05-04, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Clinton and welcome aboard!

Really hard to say about this w/o knowing more info or better yet actually seeing it first hand. Sounds like the beam could be partially dry-rotted. In this case I would advise to seek out a local contractor or home inspector to take a look at this first hand. Most contractors will give a free estimate, get at least 2-3 to take a look & give an opinion.

If you want us to try & advise would need to know all the specifics, size of beam, span, type of wood if known. Same with the supports and the floor joist above it. Is there any sag or spring to the floor above? As much detail as possible. Thanks & good luck!

Old 05-05-04, 07:11 AM
Clinton
Visiting Guest
Dont know the wood type

The beam is about 8" sq. and 30ft long on 3 supports, 2 concrete and one 4" steel pole. Dry rot sounds about right. I was thinking to put a supporting wall between the supports and under the beam to give it strength. One contractor said to replace the beam which is a huge cost and risk to the house, isn't it? Another said "should be good for about 20 years more". An inspector is coming this week and I will keep you posted on his thoughts.

Nobody told me owning a home would be such a headache. Ouch!

Old 05-05-04, 07:13 AM
Clinton
Visiting Guest
Also

No, there is no sag in the floors above or warping. Just a little squeaky but thats normal I think for wood floors.

Old 05-05-04, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Odds are you're not in too bad a shape, if you're wanting to finish the basement, add a wall or whatever there, but let's see what the inspector has to say. Keep us posted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: