Removing top ply wood from subfloor

Old 05-09-04, 12:50 PM
Question Removing top ply wood from subfloor

I am trying to remove top ply wood (5/8") from subfloor by cutting small squares using a rotary saw and then prying up with a flat bar. Is there an easier way?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-04, 07:09 AM
If it's screwed down remove all the screws from an entire sheet & then use the prybar to get it up where you can get your hands on it & pull it up by the sheet.

If it's all nailed down, get yourself a tool called a cat's paw, this is a prybar that has sort of oval pointed ends with a slot in the middle. You place it at a 45 degree angle on the wood right next to the nail & then use a hammer to drive it down under the nail head so you can pull the nails.

Is this layer bad or what's the reason for pulling it out?

Old 05-10-04, 08:40 AM
I am removing the top layer of 5/8" plywood (kitchen floor which originally had linoleum) so that the hardwood I put down will be level with the adjoining hardwood floor rooms. It looks like I will have to replace some of the sub-floor. What type of nails or fasteners do you recommend?

Thanks,

Ron

Old 05-10-04, 02:23 PM
To eliminate any possible future squeaks, use a glue/floor adhesive and 2 inch deck screws.

fred

PS - I only buy square drive screws - they won't strip!!

Old 05-10-04, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys for the info. Need a little more info. I have to replace the subflooring, is there a special saw to cut the plywood at the point where it meets the wall 2 by 4's. If not, what is the best way to remove the 5/8 inch plywood subflooring. How do you countersink the square head deck screws?

Old 05-10-04, 05:03 PM
Ron,

I plan on doing about the same thing. I'm simply going to use my circular saw set at 5/8 inch and just cut as close to the wall as I can get.
It won't have to be perfect.
A cordless drill with enough torque/clutch setting will screw the nails down flush.

fred

Old 05-10-04, 07:32 PM
I'd say as long as the edges of the old subflooring is in good shape, follow Fred's instruction in the last post. If there is damage that extends all the way out to the wall, I'd still follow his advice but after sawing with the circle saw, use a hammer & chisel to remove the rest of the damaged subfloor & insure that the sill plate & all of the wall studs are ok.

If you follow that advise & there is an issue say with laying a sheet product (Linoleum) with there being a gap between the new subfloor material & the old at the edges, you could fill that with wood puddy, or install a layer of 1/4" over the 5/8".

What is the finished floor to be?

Old 05-10-04, 07:37 PM
Thanks Fred
I will let you know how things turn out. On one wall where the subflooring meets the wall 2x4 I may try to cut the subflooring along 2x4 with a reciprocating saw from basement below. The floor beams and the wall 2x4 run in the same direction. Pls let me know if anymore suggestions pop up.

Thanks, Ron

Old 05-10-04, 07:44 PM
Thanks Awesomedell. Flooring is to be hardwood.