Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Pulling up second floor subfloor to install lighting on first floor

Pulling up second floor subfloor to install lighting on first floor

Old 05-11-04, 03:20 AM
Hig
Visiting Guest
Question Pulling up second floor subfloor to install lighting on first floor

Hello,

I recently purchased a two story colonial that did not have any overhead lighting in the living room. I am replacing the carpeting on the second floor and thought I would take the opportunity to pull up the flooring and install some lighting in the living room.

I am pulling power to the middle of the upstairs bedroom from an switch on an inside wall. My thought was to pull up or cut the flooring over to the wall and running the wire down the wall and through the joists to the correct location.

Does anyone have any tips or cautionary tales of what I am getting into? I am concerned about how to get the flooring up and putting it back down without making a mess of it.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Tom

Old 05-11-04, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
Tom:

The usual way of fishing wires is to make access holes within the room you wish to rewire.

I use a three inch holesaw to make openings and then use the cores as plugs to seal the holes.
You could do the same with a drywall saw.
After you make the opening you can use pieces of wood, held in place with a couple of drywall screws to hold the wood in place and use as a stop for the patch.

You could also post your question in the electrical forum to see what they say over there.

Old 05-11-04, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
Sorry, I cannot answer questions in PM's and I am unable to copy posts in this forum.

Hig wrote:
"Fishing might be a problem since I am going cross wise to the joists."

I will make a hole on either side of the joist about three inches away and then drill the joist at an angle, through the hole with a 12" ship auger bit.
You can then do this to each joist 'till you get to where you are going.

There would be a lot of work in patching but would be less than ripping up a floor because you would still have to go crosswise to the joists.

Another option is to surface mount the wire and use a wire moulding designed for this purpose.

Old 05-12-04, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have the carpet ripped up and the floor is exposed this could be a reasonable way to do what you are considering… First I would drill a 1 or 2 inch hole in the floor to see what you have. It could be just ¾ ply or it could be ¾ sub floor plus a ½ finish floor. Next, once you have the thickness you can set the depth of a skill saw to the thickness of the floor and rip your strips. I would say Know before hand where you want to go so you are not trashing the floor and keep your rips to a max of 6 inches wide and install nailer when replacing the strips for strength. It’s a lot of work what ever way you choose so good luck. And welcome.

Old 05-15-04, 02:17 PM
Hig
Visiting Guest
Well job is done and the carpet is down. I do not have the fans up yet but it looks good.

The 4 1/4" hole saw as a dream. I ended up only have 3/4" decking to cut through.

That was the best suggestion I have heard thanks again. The patching was simple and easy. Just fish in a piece of 1by ripped to about 3.5" , drill pilot holes in the flooring and then screw the 1by up to brace the hole. Then use the plug that was cut with some liquid nail and screw in place.

Must say it worked like a charm. Lots of work no matter how you cut it. But a decent job and much better than cutting the floor with a circular saw.

Off to rest some more. Thanks for the help and support!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: