Knee Wall and Roof Rafters

Old 05-22-04, 05:28 AM
dkspiers
Visiting Guest
Knee Wall and Roof Rafters

I'm a do-it-yourself homeowner. I am building a 32x24 garage that has a room above. I want to add a 2' knee wall to the rear elevation to allow additional head room on the back side of the roof. My question: what do I need to do to brace the knee wall so that it will not be pushed out when I bring the roof rafter down on it. This is a change to my drawings and it just seems to me I need to connect the knee wall to something for support.
Thanks !

Old 05-23-04, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this a gambrel style roof you are planning to build. If so I would raise the knee wall just like any outside wall with temp braces nailed to the floor. When you are cutting your rafters cut a birds mouth where they meet the knee wall and the weight will be transferred down on the wall as opposed to against the wall. If this is not a gambrel roof I would stick build the knee wall after the rafters are set Nailing a top plate to the rafters and a bottom plate to the ceiling joists and fill in with the studs. I hope I understood your question and was of some help… Good Luck

Old 05-24-04, 07:26 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
run a

brace from the bottom of the knee wall to the top of the rafter where it touches the wall. This should be done at least every other rafter. I am assuming that the knee wall has the rafter sitting on it on the top as well.
I hope that the design for the floor system has taken this concentrated load into account.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: