Raise the roof, garage roof that is

Old 06-04-04, 08:00 AM
Raise the roof, garage roof that is

Next summer I plan on fixing up my garage, replacing rotten and warped boards, fixing a dip in the roof and replacing the shingling, properly draining the ground around it to prevent water from entering in the spring and when it rains.

I figured while I do this I might as well upgrade it so that if I ever want a minivan or suv I can fit it in. Right now the garage door is around 7 feet and the opener itself is only 6 feet high, I keep hitting my head.

What I want to do is jack up the roof and insert a short 1 or 2 foot (whatever is required to make it normal height) framed wall inbetween the wall top and the roof. And then add a new door and opener.
Does anyone have and suggestions on this, dos and donts etc? Does this sound like a do it yourself (and friends) job?
I know the door should probably be done by professionals due to the springs and I probably will hire someone for that.

I was debating completly removing the garage and starting new as a lot of boards are rotten however my garage was built 40 years ago and is only about 6" off the back lane and 1-2 feet from my neighbours garage (the 2 garages overhangs are so close they could use the same eves trough)
This means if I tear it down I have to move it to match new codes and I dont want to. So fixing it up it is.

The garage is a 2 car extra long garage, you could fit a 3rd car sidways across the front if you want with no problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-04, 08:10 AM
The type of wall that you want

may not be allowed in certain areas of the country.
What you want to create is called a hinge joint. What will keep the lowers walls from shifting away from the top walls when horizontal pressuresa re applied. Some areas may allow it others won't. The lower wall t isn't really braced to anything. Before the jack up the walls were braced by the roof. Now only the one tall wall will be Braced by the roof caused a hing joint where the lower wall meets the upper wall.

What is above the garage door header? maybe you can get a flush beam up there instead of trying to raise the whole roof

Old 06-05-04, 12:24 PM
The roof is just that low
my garage door opener hits my head and it is attached to the rafters. The door has little clearance between it and the beam.

How does the hinge joint work? Is that something I build myself or is it a special part?

Old 06-07-04, 08:16 AM
a hinge joint is a bad thing

This is what will be created by adding a 1' knee wall to the top of an existing wall. Think of this. Stand a yard stick up on end. With your hand covering the top push down on it. As you would expect the yard stick bends or bows but it reacts as a single member. Now try the same thing with two 1'-6" pieces on top each other. When you push down on the top stick it will cause the bottom stick to be kicked out at the joint where they meet. As I said in some parts of the country this type of construction is allowed.

Old 06-07-04, 09:46 AM
Oh I see, I thought you were saying a hing joint is a special type of thing to prevent that from happening. I understand now.

I would probably be strengthing them with full length boards periodically anyways but I see what you mean.
I might just replace all the walls in a couple years as the bottom plates and bottom of the studs are rotten. There is a dranage problem now and the wall gets wet whenever there is a heavy rain and in the spring while the snow melts.