crawl space pillars causing humps in floor.

Old 06-04-04, 03:58 PM
etower500
Visiting Guest
Unhappy crawl space pillars causing humps in floor.

Our house is 15 years old, 2 years ago a pipe froze in the master bath while we were on vacation. The crawl space had 7" of water that we pumped out. I dried the crawl space with propane space heaters. Nine months later we noticed some buckling on our hardwoodwood flooring around the master bedroom. Then the masterbedroom door began to scrape the carpet. We just started to remodel the masterbdrm to lay hardwood. We pulled up the carpet and the press board last weekend. While preparing the floor I noticed that some of the 1/2" subflooring has humps which concerns me. With the carpet and particle board removed they are very noticable when walked over. I looked at the joists under the floor and noticed that the humps were located above cinderblock pillars. The humps range between 3/4 to 1" above the rest of the floor.

My question is:
1) Do we lift the house around these ares (not the whole house)and lower the pillars 3/4 to 1" and will the floor settle down properly or remain humpe?
-or-
2) Do we plane the joists where the humps are located to flatten them out? Will this cause structural problems???

Old 06-08-04, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My question would be, are these areas humps or is the areas that span these pillars sagging? What type of floor joists do you have 2x8, 2x10 ? and what is the layout 16 o.c.? what is the span of the joist between the pillars? Answer these questions and I will try to help you more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: