framing a diagonal wall?

Old 06-14-04, 12:09 AM
Katie006
Visiting Guest
framing a diagonal wall?

I am framing the basement and want to add a diagonal wall. What is the proper way to do it so that it attached correctly to the existing walls.

Old 06-14-04, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok letís see if I can convey what I am thinking here. First cut your top and bottom plate to the angle to meet each wall. Run full studs to their furthest point like your lower image. Measure from the edge of the last stud to the surface of the wall following the angle of the new wall. Transfer that measurement to a stud across the 31/2-inch side. Rip the stud down the line from the measurement with the saw set at the angle of the wall. You can transfer this angle to the stud by putting it in place and tracing with a pencil. Repeat this on the other side filling in the two spaces. Hope this all makes sense and good luck

Old 06-14-04, 11:23 PM
Katie006
Visiting Guest
Thanks for

your reply. I do get what you are saying. I dont have a table saw so I may have to change my layout. I really do like the idea of the diagonal wall though. Is there a chance the hardware store would cut it for me?

Old 06-16-04, 09:12 AM
Some stores like Home Depot and Loweís cut boards to length but I donít think they will rip a 2x4. You donít need a table saw however. If you have a regular skill saw the base plate of the saw will adjust to the angle you need the just set the board on a set of saw horses and rip away. Watch those fingers though.

Old 06-19-04, 08:39 PM
Katie006
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Ill try that.

Old 08-06-04, 12:44 PM
Z
Good advice! I need to do a similar thing to add a second floor bathroom in my house, and am scratching my head about the diagonal wall.
My question is, what about the extra bit that overhangs after you diagonally cut the top and bottom plates? (does this make sense?)
The diagonal board ends up wider because of the diagonal cut...
I assume you just clip that off in line with the straight walls?
That means you actually have to rip the 2x4 twice to fit the opening!!
Then, how do you fasten that little piece in there?
Seems like full framing nails might split that little piece...

Old 08-06-04, 08:05 PM
S
The diagonal dimension of a 2x3 is 2- 7/8", add a "ripper" from your drywall....and, its in corner tape joint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: