Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

unlevel floor

Visiting Guest

06-18-04, 07:55 AM   #1  
rondogg
unlevel floor

my house was built in the 1890's and has 1 room which spans the entire width of the house at that end. Approx. dimensions are 12'7 X13'. This was an addition built onto the house over the years. my question is as follows-
coming from the main body of the house entering the room the floor is level where the addition meets the original construction. however, there is a small grade as you proceed thru the length of the room to the end of the house. this grade appears to be about 1 - 2" overall. is it possible to utilize a liquid floor leveler which hardens, or, since i have to rip out the entire floor due to extensive water damage and relay new subflooring, is there a way to shim the sheets? I presume that over time, this section of the house has weighted down, due to poor gutter, no gutters and no quality footer around the base parameter. as it is built over a crawlspace whereas the main/original structure has a solid foundation/basement beneath it.

I have considered utilizing jacks under the joists when i rip up the flooring, however i do not want to cause more structural damage. I would like to level the floor in such a way that i can lay tile. any suggestions?
thanks!

Sponsored Links

MO

06-21-04, 06:59 AM   #2  
Hello & welcome aboard! In that situation I would consider sistering in new joists to bring the floor to level after you rip out the damaged existing flooring. Keep in mind that the subfloor for a ceramic or natural stone tile install must be very stiff & free from deflection.

Search this Thread