Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cracking grout

Visiting Guest

06-25-04, 10:55 PM   #1  
MsJill
Cracking grout

Over the last 5 months I have had some remodling done in my kitchen, The new tile has now cracked 4 different times. Each time they come back and re-grout. However, the cracking continues to come back in the same place and now it's happening in new areas as well. Also there is one spot that creaks.

After looking through the pictures of the remodle process. I noticed WonderBoard was used on the floor before the tile was put in place. A friend told me that tile should be put down on concrete only. After doing research on what Wonder Board is exactly, I have found that it is cement particles bonded with cement and captured between two layers of fiberglass.

Basically just wondering what the difference is between a solid slab of concrete and WonderBoard? And if using WonderBoard would be causing all these problems? And if the Wonderboard isn't the problem does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Sponsored Links

06-27-04, 10:14 AM   #2  
Tile ideally wants a solid non flexing surface like a concrete floor. Wonder board is standard to use over a wood floor prior to tile. If your floor joists are too small, deteriorated or? to carry the new extra weight of the tile or the floor creaked before-the wonderboard won't be enough. Flexing is the problem. Stiffening up the floor from under the house by using extra post and piers would help. my $.02 lol......jeff

06-27-04, 10:46 PM   #3  
What did they apply the wonder board over? Plywood, plank flooring...? Did they set the wonder board in thin set motar? If it keeps cracking than something was not done right, what that could be? Could be alot of things.

MO

06-28-04, 07:48 PM   #4  
Samm is right on target here, we need further info to fully & correctly determine why this install is repeatedly failing. If you can post back with more specifics, as to the make-up of the subflooring & how the wonderboard was installed, what was the thickness of the subflooring beneath, on the joists, we would need to know the size, condition, span & spacing, also was it laid in a bed of thinset? Post back with that info & we'll go from there.

Search this Thread