2x10 floor joist load capacity

Old 06-26-04, 01:41 PM
parishc
Visiting Guest
2x10 floor joist load capacity

I am having a new wood stove installed in my living room within the next month. Before the stove is installed, I have to build a stone hearth over the wood floor. The stove and hearth will be in the corner of the living room. The stone hearth will be approximately 5'x5' or 25 sqft. The stone hearth will weigh 500 lbs and the stove is 500 lbs. I am conservatively assuming that the completed hearth and stove (plus miscellaneous materials) will weigh ~1500 lbs. My question is whether the floor joists can handle this weight. The living room floor is over the garage and is supported by 2x10 joists with 16" spacing. The joists span approximately 11 ft - one end is supported by a load bearing exterior wall, the other end of the joists rest on a 4x10 beam that spans the width of my garage.

Old 06-28-04, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Assuming the joists are in good condition, your numbers translate to a deflection calculation of 0.192 inches. or L/687, which might require some beefing up prior to installing the natural stone hearth. Now I have not done a hearth such as you're talking about, but if I was just laying a natural stone tile floor there, I'd want to sister in some addition 2"x10"s to beef up the floor to where you get a L/720 or better rating prior to setting a natural stone floor, excluding your stove. Just my opinion here, but I would beef up the corner under the new hearth & stove. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: