Sinking Basement Floor

Old 07-03-04, 05:29 AM
Rajah!
Visiting Guest
Question Sinking Basement Floor

Hi - Got a lovely two-story house with a full basement, partially finished, and a concrete slab floor, unfinished.

The concrete has settled toward the posts (2) that support the main beam (about a 24' span from north wall to south wall).

Can the main beam be jacked up and either spacers or a new post be installed in place of the old 8"x8" post?

Robert

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-04, 09:26 PM
If the concrete slab has settled, jacking the main beam would increase the pressure on the slab which you'd be jacking from on top of an IMO possibly make the situation ultimately worse instead of better. You probably should call in an expert in basement and foundation repair to give you some options that would be acceptable in your particular area based upon local soil conditions.

Now having said that, I would also say that you might be able to raise the central beam supporting the center of the first floor in the matter you've asked about. If I'm understanding the situation correctly you have 2 story house sitting atop a full poured basement? The overall dimensions of this basement are 24" from north to south and the is a single main beam beneath the first level subfloor framing, which is supported by 2 - 8"x8" post which are evenly spaced across that 24' span? Assuming that the basement is basically square, (about 24' east to west) This could be done with 2-3 screw type steel pole jacks, you need to raise that beam slowly over a period of time, otherwise serious problems could be caused. The settling occurred over a long period of time and raising the beam back to it's original position can't be done over night. I think you'll find some useful reading on this thread http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...925#post610925 on how to go about raising that beam with jacks.

Best of luck & let us know how things are going.