Expanding bedroom by eliminating closet

Old 07-07-04, 04:58 PM
Kray
Visiting Guest
Expanding bedroom by eliminating closet

I am thinking about removing one of my bedroom closets in order to increase the usable room space. The closet is standard "tract home" construction, 24 inches deep with a 48" opening framed by a header and side studs. Two general questions I have about removing this closet:

1. How can I confirm that removing the header and side studs that frame the closet opening does not create any issues with respect to load bearing walls?
The rear wall of the closet is an exterior wall which I believe is the true load bearing wall and I believe the header and side studs that I would be removing were simply added to create a closet and there would be no structural issue in removing them. Does this logic sound OK or is further inspection needed?

2. The opening to the crawl space under the house is located in the floor of this closet. I know that I cannot seal this opening. I'm planning to install laminated flooring, which I would install around the opening, also making a cut-out of the flooring to install over the existing crawl space cover to disguise it as much as possible. When the project is completed and furniture is repositioned, the crawl space opening probably will be underneeth a dresser, which could be slid out of the way whenever access to crawl space is necessary. Are there any issues with the crawl space opening being in the bedroom itself as opposed to inside of a closet?
Thanks

Old 07-07-04, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Given the description of the situation I don't see any problem proceeding with your plan as stated here. Little doubt in my mind that the closet walls are just partition walls and are not providing any structual support provided the ceiling joists in the ceiling aren't sistered together atop the partition wall. That would be your only possible sticking point that I can see given the stated situation.

What I could potentially see is that you have a ceiling joist or possibly 2 running from atop the top sill plate on one of the bedroom's walls to atop the plate on the 24" wall of the closet. If that the case, you'll have to figure a way to deal with it. What I have done is to just remove the the front (48") wall of such a closet, but leave the short wall. This allows a dresser or whatever to be inserted into the floor space currently occupied by the closet, but of course you give up your bedroom closet, which I personally don't like, but hey if that's what you want go for it.

Old 07-08-04, 04:01 PM
Kray
Visiting Guest
Thanks, awesomedell, your comments are helpful to me. I can check out the possible sticking points you mentioned, before proceeding.

I gather that the situation I described with the crawl space opening is not a problem, since you did not mention it in your reply? Basically, I was wondering if the opening is supposed to be in a location where there would be no foot traffic, such as in the closet, or whether it can be in the room itself if covered properly so that nobody can fall through, etc.

Old 07-14-04, 11:24 AM
J
regarding the crawl space access.....would it be possible to make a new access outside the house?...then nail the old one closed and floor over top...

Just a thought ...whatever ya do, be safe and have fun

Old 07-16-04, 04:37 PM
The only other problem I've seen after removing a bedroom closet occurs at resale. I bought a house once that had a bedroom that had been converted into an office (the closet doors had been removed) and the house couldn't be sold as a four bedroom since the 'closet' didn't exist in one of the 'bedrooms'.

Old 07-20-04, 05:00 PM
Kray
Visiting Guest
Thanks Jproffer and Dave for the additional replies.

1. To install crawlspace access from outside, an opening would need to be cut in the cement foundation. I guess this would be doable but sounds potentially costly and would take my project out the of the DIY category.
So I am wondering if having crawl space opening in a bedroom floor (in corner, under dresser) is an absolute no-no, or just not a great idea, or is actually OK?

2. The bedroom has two remaining closets that will be undisturbed by this project. Will still be used as a bedroom - just reducing closets from three to two.

Thanks
KB

Old 07-21-04, 05:44 AM
I can think of no reason - other than appearance - why a crawlspace access couldn't be in the room under a piece of furniture. I have an access in the hall closet (carpeted floor) that's almost invisible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: