structural beam?

Old 07-11-04, 09:17 AM
rhonda b
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question structural beam?

I have a beam between my dining room and living room.
It is in the center of the house.There used to be a railing that seperated the 2 rooms but after years of setteling they became bowed and i removed them.

I have a townhouse that is 2 story. There is a area that runs between the rooms about 12 inches down from the ceiling ( I call it a mini wall.)and 4 to 5 inches thick.
The beam in question is attatched to the "mini wall" and the floor.
How can I tell if it is ok to remove this beam?

Old 07-11-04, 06:42 PM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Eastlake, OH
Posts: 130
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Odds are this beam is the bearing beam for your floor joists upstairs. If this is the case you cannot remove it. You have a wall running down the center of the room and this beam runs across an opening to the dining room to the other wall. The Floor joists for upstairs Sits on the outside bearing wall and runs into the center of the room sitting on the bearing wall in the middle of your room. This beam is for those joists the land on the opening. Now you can recess this beam so it is not visible but this is a lot of work. If this sounds like something you would like to do let us know and we will try to help.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: