adding on second floor

Old 07-14-04, 10:08 PM
2pyrs
Visiting Guest
adding on second floor

I want to add on making a second floor to our home. I added on the back a few years ago but not sure about some of the stuff here, such as the present ceiling beams. House is 50 years old and is a old cottage take apart and moved then re- built. 20'x23'
Add on in back half is 12' wide x 20' ,the ceiling beams are not normal size on old part of house, by this I mean they are 2"x5" exact and cut off and nailed together at various spots not full length from one side of the house to the other. In adding up should I add new 2"x6" or 2"x8" and can I put a full 24' from one side of the house to the other without a baring wall in between or should I be looking at those new wood I-beams. I would like to make a 4' over hang past the front of the house and go in the addition I made 2' so total would be 29' from front to back.
I well also be putting the new roof on facing the same as my addition ( ^ ) old roof now is facing the front with the shingles showing to the front.
Any good books on framing or CD or tapes on framing for second floors would be of help
Recommended ones ???
2pyrs

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-04, 03:15 PM
2pyrs Welcome to the forum…. In regards to adding a second floor there are many factors that need addressed. Things like the current header sizes on your current windows and doors, these might need to be increased to carry the load. You will need to identify any bearing walls in you home now. You will also need to consider the footer size you have. You will also want to check with you local building department some have conforming restrictions that might prevent you from adding your second floor . This task is a considerable one so much so you might consider hiring an architect to help you. To answer the questions about the floor joists is you will need to increase the size and the size will depends on the span. I am not sure but 29 feet is a long joist and I don’t think the make a joist to accommodate that kind of span. You might be able to span a lam beam for bearing support with hangers but an evaluation of you home would be needed to confirm. Within this site you can be linked to an architect in your area that could help… Hope I helped a little and good luck...

Old 07-15-04, 09:44 PM
2pyrs
Visiting Guest
Adding up ok here, footer is a slab pour four foot deep. No heard boards are needed. There are no windows on the sides of the house and that well be the bearing wall on each side, I have add extra 2x4's. in all walls all the way around the old part of the house.
I can use the wall in the center of the house as a bearing wall so as to break up the span, making it 12' plus 4' foot over hang on the front of the house. 11' plus 2' over hang into the addition would be over the old back wall of the house. Man made wood I - beam can be any length I want made so I have been told by Carter Lumber here. But I would rather use 2"x8"s
*Can I add 2" x 8"s next to old 2"x5"s nailing then together ? * Then put 1/2" ply over it for floor. Walls up stairs would be standard set up with a 4/12 truss.
I have a very tight budget so I must learn and do the work myself.
Any books or CD's would be of help any ideas the ones I should get ?

2PYRS

Old 07-16-04, 11:19 AM
Yes you can go beside the existing joist. Check you layout from each direction 16” o.c and see if your new joists will land on a current ones. Go with the layout that this happens the least. As for your sub-floor I would go with ¾ tong & groove. Glued & screwed. Instead of 1/2 “ I would make sure the center wall is designed for a bearing load. As for video’s & books look at the top of the page and you will see a link Go Shopping. Click that and scroll down and look for Video’s Books & Plans. Browse through them and choose the one you think will help you the most. Now all that said it would be helpful if you kept your responses within this thread. This will help with replies and others to follow the progress of the thread. Please post back with any questions and happy building.