framing for interior half-wall with columns

Old 07-16-04, 10:12 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
framing for interior half-wall with columns

Hey all,

In the house I am remodeling, the previous owner took out the old wall between the living room and dining room.
It looks to me like this was one of those walls that are about four feet high and are supported by columns at the ends.
This was a load bearing wall, and it is now supported by a header of 2 2x10's.
I would like to reframe the half wall and columns up to the header.
Anyone know of a good resource for this type of framing (and finishing for that matter)?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-04, 11:27 AM
Are you looking for advice on how to build this wall or a contractor to perform the work? If the latter is your request then scroll up and click on get connected with a local contractor. If the former is your query then let us know what exactly your would like to accomplish and we will be happy to help.

Old 07-16-04, 12:18 PM
Z
Thanks for the quick reply!

I would like to know how to frame the wall.

I was hoping there is maybe a book on the subject, as it is difficult to describe without the use of diagrams....(for me anyway).

I imagine you just build a ~4 ft. high wall with top & bottom plates and tie this in to the existing wall on either side of the opening between the two rooms.

The columns, I imagine, could be framed as simply as two studs or a 4x4, tied into the half wall at either end of the opening and tied into the header with fasteners. (see, this is tough to describe!)

As for finishing it, I am in the dark.
I would imagine drywall the wall, a wooden 'shelf' atop the wall, and a square wooden column, slightly tapering to the top. Some molding to finish it off.

Obviously, I need some details, but am I on the right track?
Anyone know of any books out there on this subject?
Thanks!

Old 07-16-04, 12:52 PM
You are on the right track. Check with your local home improvement stores and they have decretive columns (round, roman style, colonial style, ect.) They have an extended top & bottom so you can cut to the length you need and looks very nice. As for the wall build it to a height that you are happy with. Maybe high enough to place an 18 counter on the top for a bar? With the height the choice is yours. As for the construction of the wall you are correct Top plate Bottom plate and secure @ each end. And drywall. If you keep it to 4 feet finishing will be easy. We will get to that part when you decide on height and columns. Your local library will have some magazines if you need Ideas. Good Luck