Replacing a header beam

Old 07-24-04, 10:59 AM
1stTimeOwner
Visiting Guest
Question Replacing a header beam

I recently bought a house and would like to replace an existing header beam with something that has a lower profile.

The opening is 72" and sites in the center of the house between the kitchen and the dining room. Above the beam is the landing of the second floor. The existing beam consists of two 2"x10" boards framed with two 2"x4" boards on top and one 2"x4" board on the sides and the bottom. This is all sitting on top of one 2"x4" jack stud on each end.

Someone had mentioned to me that I might be able to use a Microllam beam instead of the existing beam and that it would take up less space.

Does anyone have experience using Microllam beams? If so, could you tell me what size beam I would need to replace the existing one?

Any guidance is GREATLY appreciated.

Old 07-25-04, 07:39 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Header

Glulams, steel beams, microlams, trusses, and I-joists are but some of the methods by which you may span the 72" distance and yet possibly bear the weight of the existing second floor.

But just what type and size alternate header you can use must be determined both by the total load of the floor upon which the new header must bear and the limits that your local code enforcement office will place on their use.

In short, it is not within the scope of the internet and this forum in particular to find your answer.

You need an architect or engineer to evaluate the current loads on your house and a consultation with your local code enforcement officer to determine what is legal within your code to replace the existing header.

Old 08-14-04, 09:16 PM
S&W Constructio
Visiting Guest
Steve

I agree with homebild however you dont always need to go to the added cost using an engineer or architect alot of lumber supply yards and truss companies have programs to calculate what type and size of beam you may be able to use and usually they provide this service at a low cost if not free

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: