Rotten Rim Joists

Old 07-29-04, 08:42 AM
Gregm
Visiting Guest
Rotten Rim Joists

I bought a fixer upper and the house had a bad drainage problem that I fixed last summer and now it is time to replace the rim joists. I have about 14 feet of a rim joist to replace. The house is brick and you may have guessed that this will need to be done from the crawl space. I know I will need to cut back the floor joist to tear out the rim joist and then sister a new floor joist on to the old. My question is do I need to sister all the way back to the center member where these rough cut 2x8s end or can I just go half way and use bolts to tie into the old joist. The span is about 14 feet or maybe 16 I have not measured.

Last edited by Gregm; 07-30-04 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-04, 09:21 AM
Sounds like you've got the right idea, hard dirty job which requires some special knowledge & tools, might be best to at least consult a local reputable pro on this portion of the project.

Old 08-01-04, 06:26 PM
Gregm
Visiting Guest
Question Dirty Job

awesomedell,

You are right it is a dirty job. I have already done about half the work. The floor joists were not the full length, unlike the ones I am having to work with now. I have the tools and most the experience I need, just not with sistering these long 16' joists; I am a part time sub-contractor. Will it make Mr. Building inspector happy if I only sister half way. I really don't want to do full length.

Old 08-01-04, 09:44 PM
Well Greg, that would be fine with my inspector, but codes are lax to nonexistant in these parts, part of the country charm of the place. Seriously, my advice would be to give the local inspector a call & see what he has to say about the situation. They are normally quite happy to give advice and that way you know you won't have to do the job over in order to satisfy him. Good luck!