Subfloor removal for hardwood strip install

Old 07-30-04, 07:13 PM
ScottinMich
Visiting Guest
Question Subfloor removal for hardwood strip install

I've been trying to find solid info about whether or not I can install hardwood flooring over particle board. My current subfloor is 3/4" particle board over 1/2" or 5/8" plywood. Unfortunately, I did finally determine that the particle board needs to come up... wherin lies my problem. I have ~575' of this to take up and am wondering the best way to attack it? No problem taking up the current carpet and tack strips, or even the baseboard trim. The PB is nailed down - not sure what kind or length of nails were used.
Also, what can I do at the edges around my stairway trim (stairs go from 1st floor to basement) that has been screwed down and plugged i.e. can't come up?

Thanks for anything
ScottinMich :

Old 07-30-04, 10:42 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No Reason to Remove Particle board

There is no reason at all to remove the particle board.

Especially since it also covers 1/2" or 5/8ths in subfloor.

The hardwoods can be installed directly over the particle board with no additional preparation.

Old 07-31-04, 12:17 AM
ScottinMich,

Exactly what kind of flooring are you using as the new finish flooring? Typical 3/4" hardwood shouldn't be installed over partivle board. Secondly, the PB shouldn't be that hard to remove even if is nailed. What will give you fits is if it'd been glued & screwed. From the sound of you post. that seems doubtful.

Old 07-31-04, 06:16 AM
ScottinMich
Visiting Guest
Sorry Homebild, but the instructions with the flooring say unequivocably NOT to install it over PB. Even tho' (for ease of installation) I'd like to leave it, it's coming up.
Awesomedell, I'll be installing 3/4" pre-finished red oak strips. I'm just wondering how to start the removal...

Old 08-01-04, 08:07 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
I agree with Dell too,particle board is worthless not even sure why they still sell it?A soon as you start to pull this stuff up you will see why you don't install over this stuff.Take a wood chisel or something sharp and rigid and get you place to start(pick a spot) and chisel out enough to get a pry bar under it and the rest should be fairly easy as the particle board(as long as it is not glued as Dell says) should start to disintegrate as you go.Then it's just a matter of cleaning up the sawdust and pulling nails.Git 'er done

Old 08-19-04, 09:41 AM
UnclePonto
Visiting Guest
Scott - just curious to see how its going for you. I'm beginning the same exact project this weekend. I've got 5/8 particle over 1/2 plywood. I'm installing 3/4 solidwood flooring. Although I've had one or two people tell me that you can go over the PB the manufacturer (Armstrong) as well as some other folks have strongly advised against this. In my case, I would have had to pull up a few boards anyway due to water damage so I'm not too concerned over the extra work. How are you finding the job? If you've got any pointers at this stage, I'd be appreciative if you could share them.

Good Luck,
Dan

Old 01-02-08, 02:25 AM
G
Subfloor removal...me too

Hi,

This is my first post here. Undertaking a complet kitchen remodel but only doing what I know best (demo and tile floor). I too have somthing similar...3/4" particle board over 5/8" plywood subfloor (the particle board runs up to the wall bottom plate and the bottom plate sits over the 5/8" ply...why this was done I have NO idea!). Anyway, I think mine might be glued. IF SO, I'm thinking my best bet is to just run my skil saw around the perimeter (1/2 way across the joist width when running along the joists next to the walls, and as close to the walls when running across joists), then just chiseling out the remaining few inches of perimeter particle board. Any thoughts other than to make sure I don't have anything attached to the subfloor like wiring or plumbing before pulling it up?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 01-02-08, 04:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Your thoughts are good. And probably the only solution. Hopefully it isn't glued. If so, you can get one of the ram knives at your home store. It is a steel pole with a blade fitted on the end that you can slide over the glue and take it off along with the PB residue. Your interior plates are installed over the subflooring, then the last strata is installed prior to the carpet, etc. Hey, it makes it a lot easier for you to remove, right? Do your plans include installing 3/4" Advantech, etc prior to the hardwood?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: