Floor Joists under load bearing wall

Old 08-01-04, 05:37 AM
NCDIYnut
Visiting Guest
Question Floor Joists under load bearing wall

I'm watching (like a hawk) my new home being built in a subdiv in NC. I just noticed something in crawspace, on the brick foundation wall between house and attached garage, and would like to hear you're input:

(1) The pt baseplate wasn't laying completely flat against the brick in the middle of the span. There's about a 1/16" gap letting light shine through. I would think that construction adhesive should have been liberally applied and would form a seal with the brick.

--Does the pt foundation baseplate need to be sealed it's entire length, or are the bolts good enough?

But, that minor observation caused me to go through the crawspace and closely investigate everything, which is when I saw another issue:

(2) They're using I-joists for the 1st floor, which run parallel to the wall between the house and the garage. (which is ok) However, they didn't put a joist directly on the foundation wall as I would have expected. Instead, they just used 3/4" OSB and to that nailed 2x4 jackstuds to xfer the weight from the wall to the foundation.

-- In fact, I would expect them to double-up the I-joists because it's a load-bearing wall. But maybe since it's doesn't need to distribute the load. Right?

This lead me to notice something else:
(3) These 10" jackstuds were pre-nailed to the OSB before they put on the OSB as the band-joist. I can tell because the jackstuds are ALL 1/4" short and don't reach the pt baseplate. Thus, the last 16" of the house is supported for a 15' span, by the wall itself and the rigidity of the flooring. Since a fireplace will go in this 15' span, won't it want to sag? Shouldn't those jackstuds be supporting that loadbearing wall every 16" or so?

I'll be bringing this to the attention of the site foreman in the AM, but wanted your take:

Old 08-01-04, 07:34 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
I'm not a framing expert but iv'e been around a little. There are a series of headers and jack studs on the exterior walls that will give the needed support that you are concerned about.

There probably should have beem something under the plate to seal it but maybe they plan on doing it later?

If you look under the house at the point where it extends past the foundation there should be a series of joists that run perpendicular to the others that extend past the foundation wall to give the added support that is needed for the overhang,if not then question it

Did they pull a permit to build this house?If so then they are required to undergo inspections at different phases of the project including the framing and cannot cover the walls until the inspector says it's o,k. to do so.Maybe you could bring you're concerns to him as well

Old 08-03-04, 08:29 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The WPT should have been attached to the pier with an approved anchoring device and on a level plane with the rest of the support foundation, however where this doesn't occur, glued shimms will suffice.

In my area, if the jack studs are not longer than 9", shear panel is not required, however, they must be full bearing.

Most good inspectors, have coveralls with them.

Old 08-04-04, 01:59 PM
NCDIYnut
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Seems there's some confusion about my situation:

1) Forman of subdivision says they don't use Seal-Seal (sp?) for crawl spaces. Just slabs and basements.

2) The house is basically a square, no overhangs.
I-joists run North-South for 1st floor.
Forget the garage... not important to issue.

When laying the floor joists for the 1st floor from the North foundation wall, over the steel I-beam in the center, and then on to the South foundation wall ... putting them 16"oc apart from each other... I would think they would place an floor joist on top of the East and West foundation wall also (as the last ones on either side)... but they didn't.

Instead, the East and West walls (that run parallel to the floor joists), instead of a joist on the foundation wall, they use 10" high 2x4 studs (yes, only ten inches) with a 2x4 topplate (foundation pt 2x4 is the baseplate) and the 3/4" flooring was nailed down to this. The West wall looks good, but the East wall 10" studs all have a 1/4" gap between the bottom of them and the pt baseplate.

I spoke with the subdivision forman and yes, this is a problem. The weight of the East exterior wall is sitting on the East edge of the flooring. Even thought it's only 16 inches from the closest joist, it needs to have good support down to the foundation wall. The 2x4s do this, but NOT if they don't even touch the baseplate.

After 5-10yrs or so, that last few inches of the floor will sag, and the 10 inch studs will drop until they touch the baseplate. That shift will cause nail pops.

I alearted him, and he's gonna have em scab on new 2x4s that run from the topplate down the the pt baseplate to adequately support that side of the house.

Thanks... I guess I just paniced a little...

Old 08-04-04, 07:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its good you asked and that its being addressed and resolved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: