Attic remodel

Old 08-05-04, 10:27 AM
EricT
Visiting Guest
Attic remodel

Hey guys-

Got a question relating to trusses. Right now my roof slopes downone side of the house, so much so that half of my upstairs interior is attic space. I want to do a major remodel by removing that portion of roof, and raising it. My problem- its all trussess in there. I was wondering, can I remove the upper part of the truss, leaving the lower 2x4s that now span the whole floor, and put in the new subfloor over that? I have about 8 inches of space above those trusses. The reason I ask, is if I have to remove those trusses, I also lose about 1/3 of the downstairs cielings, as all the drywall is screwed in to the bottom of the truss.

I will take pics if it helps, just ask.

Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-04, 08:00 PM
i see a few problems....

1. trusses are made(i think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong) so that the bottom 2x4 holds the angled 2x's together...its all one unit and should be left as such.

2. a 2x4 will not support a floor...its ok for storage, but not much else.

I would get a structural engineer to come out and talk about your options, it's doable im sure, but it may take more than you think(all new trusses made for this type of load for instance). Engineering fee will be nothing compared to damages (not to mention danger) from your floor/ceiling falling in.

you say you have 8" above the 2x4's.....did you mean put something like 2x6's on top of the 2x4's as a subfloor....even if the 2x4's were all you had(not the whole trusses which should be left alone) unless you hang the 2x6's seperatly from the 2x4's, so the 2x4's arent even an issue....they wont hold it.

I'm interested on others take on this, I'm no engineer of course but I 'm pretty sure I wouldn't try what your proposing....

OK...I'm done ....next

Old 08-05-04, 08:11 PM
EricT
Visiting Guest
Well I wish I knw how to explain it better.

Basically, the upper part of the truss holds up the roof. I wanna rip off the roof, including the upper part of the truss- I dont think this would affect anything below structurally, as the upper part of the truss only bears weight on the 2x4 that is the lower part of the truss, which is the cieling support below. (IE the drywall that makes the lower cielings is screwed in there).

Now, I am not suggesting a subfloor get put onto those 2x4s. No way! Only to hold up the cieling below, and temporarily even. After that, I want to span some joists above the 2x4s- not bearing on them, but rather, bearing on the outer walls. 3 out of 4 of the outer walls are exterior, and the other side is a large joist that runs through the center of the house. The space is approx 22foot by 14foot. Once the joists are up on the sides and whatnot, then hook those 2x4s up to the joists, so they are now held up by the big boys.

Bear in mind that I took a structural engineering class, once, and that qualifies me to be nothing but an armchair moron, haha.

Below is a garage, and a bit of my master bath. Seems like a few pics and drawings might be in order, I will try to provide tomorrow.

Eric

Old 08-05-04, 08:18 PM
ok....thats more clear......

the 2x4's for ceiling support...ok

spanning the new joists across outside walls.....ok

tying the 2x4's up.....sure why not...cant hurt

then new rafters or whatever above your new room(s)...now your talkin...

I think I got it now....so nevermind my entire first post