Steel Framing?

Old 08-06-04, 08:05 AM
RossC
Visiting Guest
Steel Framing?

I'm considering steel framing for a small vacation home. I've seen some positive feedback, but it's dated and I'm hoping for some recent experience. Steel seems to be cheaper, stronger, easier to construct and more durable than wood framing... too good to be true?

There has to be a downside, what is it?

RossC

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-04, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Steel Cheaper? Not Hardly.

Steel prices are thru the roof as of this writing with worldwide reserves of steel being bought by mainland China at a feverish pace to fuel their economic boom.

The result to the rest of the world has been non-existent and over-priced steel supplies.

Now is not a good time to consider steel framing over conventional wood framing by any stretch...and that is only for the materials.

Steel framing labor costs significantly more than does labor to frame a conventional light framed wood structure.

The reason is that steel framing is more specialized and that steel framing crews fewer and farther between.

Steel framing for residential work has rarely been cheaper than traditonal lumber framing. Now is no exception.

These comments don't even consider the additonal costs associated with steel for the installation of plumbing and electrical systems, nor the problems with insulating, condensation, and more.

Steel has never been a 'better mouse trap'.

Stick with conventional wood framing for ease and cost.