Remodeling kitchen to open into dining room

Old 08-07-04, 06:08 AM
stephanie50
Visiting Guest
Smile Remodeling kitchen to open into dining room

I just bought a new 2-story home - the right side was built in 1986 and the addition (2 car garage with master over) in 2001, with the original one car garage left as a pass-through. My problem is, the kitchen is blocked off from the dining room with the exception of this odd little pass-through window. To its left is the stove with an overhung microwave-vented outside.

Plus, they build this gosh-awful solution to hanging short cabinets - like a soffet wall - which I'm guessing hides the venting to the microwave. There is a pot light above the sink, so that's another concern, but I can always change the fixture. In addition, this wall contains a pantry the size of Monaco and a Coat closet. It is the first thing you see when you walk in -right in your face.

I want to knock down the entire load bearing wall to open up the kitchen and need some advice - is this something a very handy small woman can handle or do I have to suffice to hire a contractor? I don't mind columns every few feet to hold the header, I just want the openness as the kitchen is so small and badly configured. I am also installing a bamboo floor throughout the entire downstairs. (Anyone installed that?)

Advice, anyone? I have the original floors plans to the entire house.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-04, 04:10 PM
Hire a contractor to do the structural header, for the liability.
Enjoy the rest.

Search this Thread