Framing out basement room

Old 08-08-04, 11:03 AM
bklynjames
Visiting Guest
Framing out basement room

Hello,
I have a basement room, its 8x12 cinder block. I would like to frame it out for sheetrocking. The only problem is I need to run 8 circuits from one side of the room to the other, opposite the entry door. What should I frame out the room with, 1x3's, 2x4's, or furring strips on one side and 1x3's on the other three..?? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Old 08-08-04, 04:26 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why not drill and run your wires through the floor joists above (or along them, whichever applies to your situation). If you do this, remember the wires have to be a minimum of 1 1/4" away from the edge (EITHER edge, top or bottom) of the joists, but that shouldn't be a problem.

If thats not an option, you can use whatever lumber you like on the walls (except furring strips as you know), but the same rule applies, but this time you would only need to be 1 1/4" away from the inside, not necessarily the back side(facing the outside).

Hope this helps, post back as needed

Old 08-08-04, 09:34 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not the Only Problem

Originally Posted by bklynjames
Hello,
I have a basement room, its 8x12 cinder block. I would like to frame it out for sheetrocking. The only problem is I need to run 8 circuits from one side of the room to the other, opposite the entry door. What should I frame out the room with, 1x3's, 2x4's, or furring strips on one side and 1x3's on the other three..?? Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Framing the walls is not your only problem.

You CAN fur the walls but that requires treated lumber and specialty insulation which can cost far more than simply building 2x4 walls in front of the foundation as most codes require.

Basement walls also need to meet minimum insulation and energy codes for your region.

So framing, insulation and wiring are only the beginning of your worries...

Old 08-19-04, 07:22 AM
bklynjames
Visiting Guest
Follow up

Thankx for your help guys, I went with running the wires 1 1/4 in in the joists and it worked really nice.... Thankx for the good word...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: