notching header

Old 08-08-04, 01:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
notching header

oops!
I have a split level home, and am in the middle of converting the garage, (which is part of the lower level) to a room. I began studing out the garage opening, and when i went to measure the oipening for the window sill, i realized that the header is a 2x8. The room next to the "garage" already has a window, and i wanted the heights to match, but it must have a 2x6 header. My question is can i notch 1 3/4 in. out of the 2x8 header since the span is being shortened from 8ft to 67 in?

thanks
birch

Old 08-08-04, 09:37 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No.

By Code, Headers and beams cannot be notched or bored at all.

You need to think up another method which may involved replacing the header with a lam, micorlam, steel beam or other type of support.

Notching is not a legal option.

Old 08-09-04, 10:13 AM
Um...why not raise the header?

Old 08-09-04, 12:26 PM
B
Thanks for your ideas. i know its not the "legal code" option, but the correct option is changing thge entire header to a 2x6 which would mean a tempoarary supporting wall and more work. i was wondering if notching it would be any weaker than a replacing it w/ a 2x6. either way, the headerr would be 6 inches.

also, i cant move it up because there is a double 2x4 running the span of the house supporting the floor above.

would notching it effect the stregnth compared to changing it to a 2x6?

thanks again
birch

Old 08-09-04, 12:31 PM
To answer your question - I don't believe that cutting a 2x8 down to 2x6 is any different from using a 2x6.

Here's another option. keep the 2x8 & install window. When trimming the outside of the window, make the head board 2" taller, to match the upper height of the window trims.

Also, my gut feeling is that a 2x6 isn't enough to span 67".

Old 08-10-04, 11:56 AM
A
why don't you

fur the open that has the 2 x 6 down to the height of the 2 x 8.

Some one mentioned that
"I don't believe that cutting a 2x8 down to 2x6 is any different from using a 2x6."

That is not true. Lumber pieces are graded as a whole. You can not say that the remaining section has the properties to meet grading standards. If he cuts out a section of good lumber only to leave knots and wayne then the lumber might be stud grade instead of #2.

From what you desribe it is impossible to determine if the remaining section of lumber will carry the load.

Old 08-10-04, 12:48 PM
good point.

here's another idea - remove the 2x8 header and replace w/something stronger like a glulam, or flitch.

Old 08-12-04, 02:19 AM
S
Yes, however, you are ripping instead of notching and the correct method is to define the opening width, plus 3" for the trimmers and rip that length, to the desired width, (nominal lumber size for a 2x6 call out is 5.5"), a short vertical cut will allow the piece to be removed. Place and fasten the trimmers, mark, cut and remove the rest of the original header and install and fasten a full length king stud on both ends of the newly created header.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: