Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Steel I-Beam or LVL?

Visiting Guest

08-18-04, 04:22 PM   #1  
dunno
Steel I-Beam or LVL?

I currently have 2x8 floor joists inserted into a steel I-Beam resting on the flange at 24' OC. I at least need to double-up the joists, but I'm not sure how to insert them on each end. This was originally done by sliding the I-Beam in through the garage and cutting the joists on the way in to open up the basement and give needed headroom. I also need at least a 16' clear span. Should I back the beam out, position new joists, and slide beam back in. Should I use LVL beams sandwiched together, possibly with a steel plate,
and joist hangers on the side. This is a small ranch house.

t/y
dunno

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

08-29-04, 05:00 PM   #2  
Sounds like you might need some real/professional engineering. I am sure that steel or engineered lumber can be engineered to do what you want. Most people find engineered lumber easier to work with.

Depending on the size of your job some engineered lumber companies will provide the engineering free of charge if you purchase their product (LVL, para-lam, trusses...).

Search this Thread