ledger or frame wall?

Old 08-19-04, 06:58 AM
decolores9
Visiting Guest
ledger or frame wall?

I'm building an attached garage with a flat roof. One wall of the garage is the existing house. Originally, I had planned to attach a 2x12 ledger to the house with sleeve anchors and support the joists with hangars, essentially like a deck. However, in the process of removing the old ledger from the prior deck, I discovered that the ledger caused significant damage to the brick veneer. It appears to me that the brick may not be able to take the load of the ledger.

I am considering framing a 2x4 wall to support the ledger instead. A few sleeve anchors would still be used to tie the ledger to the house, to keep it from pulling away. However, the garage floor is already poured, and there is no foundation under the garage floor on that side (other than the house foundation).

I'm concerned about stability. I'm in western PA, and footer frost depth is 36". While this wall would be inside the building, and connected on the ends to framing that is sitting on the foundation, the span of the wall would just be sitting on the concrete floor. Will this be stable, or will the floor tend to move and disrupt the wall? It seems like it's really no different than framing a basement interior wall to finish a basement, but I'm still concerned.

If that will be an issue, is there another alternative that I have overlooked?

Thanks.

Old 08-19-04, 06:08 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For the deterioration that you found, in most places, red brick are not approved for structural support or attachment.

Old 08-24-04, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unless you brick facade is made of solid bricks, the previous poster is correct in his post about the bricks not being approved for structural support or attachment. Most brick facades aren't built with solid bricks, usually they have the 3 holes in them.

I am considering framing a 2x4 wall to support the ledger instead.
I think this would be you best option in your situation and believe that all will be fine with this arrangement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: