Attaching a wall

Old 08-22-04, 03:22 PM
dwplum
Visiting Guest
Attaching a wall

I have one of those projects that I seem to be over analyzing, so I thought I'd ask here and find out the proper way. I'm building an eight foot diagonal wall from my foyer to the front room with a five foot french door in order to make it more of a reading room. Do I attach the new wall directly to the drywall or should I cut away the drywall and attach the new wall directly to the existing studs. My inclination is to cut away the drywall. Also, do doors, such as the french door, always require a 1.5 inch wider opening?

Thanks.

Old 08-23-04, 11:54 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I suppose you could just rely on nailing at the ceiling joists and on the floor to hold the new wall up, but tying into the existing wall really doesn't take much more time and gets the job done "right."

I would tie the new wall into existing studs. You can build up an attachment point in the existing wall by taking a pair of 2x4s cut to the length between the soleplate and top plate in the existing wall (or one stud already framed in the existing wall and one new stud of the same type e.g. 2x4 or 2x6), and nail 2-foot lengths of 2x4 (or 2x6 if that's the stud size) blocking between the first 2x4 and second 2x4. Then, just nail the newly framed wall to your new "post" in the existing wall. You can do the same thing for the other end of the wall.

Also, the rough opening for your door is always going to be a couple inches larger than the actual door--even for French doors. The door you plan to hang should have the exact rough opening dimensions noted in the manufacturer's catalog or other literature, which you should consult just in case the door has a goofy rough opening.

For around $20, you can pick up a book on basic residential framing that will show you the techniques to tie new walls into existing walls and give you the rough openings for doors and windows. It's worth the investment to "see" the answer to your questions on paper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: