Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Floor Joist vs. direction of oak strip installation

Old 09-02-04, 05:37 PM
ScottinMich
Visiting Guest

I originally posted this in "Laminate and wood floors" forum but got to thinking it probably belongs here.

I just removed 5/8" of particle board flooring and now have 1/2" + 5/8" (1 1/8" total) of plywood subfloor down. I've got prefinished 2 1/4" red oak strips from Robbins Flooring to install. The instructions say to lay the strips perpendicular to the floor joists. Unfortunately, the room will look better if the strips are layed in the same direction as the joists. The instructions, again, say that if laying the strips parallel is preferred, the joists need to be blocked 24" OC. I'm way past that point and am wondering if I can still get away with laying the strips the same direction as the joists. The room is ~26 x ~22... if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any considerations,
Scott

Old 09-03-04, 03:10 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Occasionally, when plywood floor sheating is exposed to moisture for extended periods of time prior to closing up the building, there may be some minor cupping occur, which, depending upon how it was attached, can telegraph through successive layers.
Lay a straight edge across and if this has occurred, don't nail in the depressions and if its severe, fill with fixall, and proceed.

Old 09-03-04, 08:07 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Doesn't Matter

Originally Posted by ScottinMich
I originally posted this in "Laminate and wood floors" forum but got to thinking it probably belongs here.

I just removed 5/8" of particle board flooring and now have 1/2" + 5/8" (1 1/8" total) of plywood subfloor down. I've got prefinished 2 1/4" red oak strips from Robbins Flooring to install. The instructions say to lay the strips perpendicular to the floor joists. Unfortunately, the room will look better if the strips are layed in the same direction as the joists. The instructions, again, say that if laying the strips parallel is preferred, the joists need to be blocked 24" OC. I'm way past that point and am wondering if I can still get away with laying the strips the same direction as the joists. The room is ~26 x ~22... if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any considerations,
Scott
If your red oak is solid 3/4" thick and unless you had no subfloor at all, only then would you need blocking 24" on center.

Otherwise with a 1 1/8" thick subfloor, it does not matter which direction the floor is laid from any structural requirement since the plywood is the structural element, not the red oak....and the ply wood 1 1/8" thick will meet any code span minimum at 16 or 24" on center in any direction.

Apply the red oak whatever direction you desire, even diagonally.

Old 09-04-04, 02:54 PM
I would agree with homebild, with 1-1/8" of plywood subfloor down, you shouldn't have a problem and surely you didn't used any cupped or warped sheeting for your new subfloor, so I'd also say lay that floor and you'll still have time to enjoy a few cool ones before the holiday weekend is over.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: