Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Best practices for subfloor preparation for hardwoods

Old 09-05-04, 05:56 AM

Heya. I have read most of the threads here on subflooring, but wanted to check/confirm some best practices.

I am looking to build the best flooring to resist squeaking and sagging.

The situation: I have a 25-year-old house with sagging 5/8" plywood on 16" joists. The previous homeowner installed 5/8" particle board (4'x4' squares oddly enough) over the plywood and the flooring is carpet.

The plan: I am planning on removing the particle board and installing 5/8" plywood (1 1/4" total thickness) and then (probably) 3/4" nailed down hardwoods.

Some questions:

Is 1 1/4" inch of subflooring plus 3/4" hardwood overkill? If so, what should I use for the second layer to level the floor before installing the hardwoods?

Does the second layer of plywood need to be tongue and groove if I am putting hardwoods over it?

I am planning on screwing my my new layer of plywood. Should I also glue it or is that overkill?

Should I do anything differently if I do not use 3/4" hardwoods, instead using thinner hardwoods?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Adam Missner
Roswell, GA

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-04, 10:11 AM
I would go with the glue & screw of the 5/8" plywood, exterior grade would be my choice of materials for this. It would also be a good idea to put down a layer of 15# roofing felt over the top of the subfloor prior to laying the hardwood floor.