Basement Subflooring

Old 09-07-04, 10:49 AM
Basement Subflooring

In the final stages of completing the finishing of our basement.

Now that we need to focus on the flooring or more like the proper preperation of the basement floor prior to the finished flooring going in, we need some advice.

Fully understand the need to install a subflooring ontop of the concrete to protect the finsied flooring from mositure. There are a few premade subflooring products available, such as SubFlor and DriCore, that provide the T&G plywood and a polyethylene cleated underside. But the prices for these products at your local Home Improvement stores seem pretty high, costs more, if not the same, than the finished flooring choices we are looking into.

What other choices are available that provide the same type of protection/comfort that these premade products provide? What did people do before these products were made? The prices for these products in my area are $5.98 per panel (each panel is 2'x2').

Is the old way of doing things cheaper? These panels are also around 7/8" thick, so is it possible to maintain that hight with another alternative?

If I can find these products or a similar product sold online at a much better price I would still consider it, but I am looking at between $1200-1600 for my 900 sq.ft basement for this stuff, before the finished flooring price.

Wana do things right, but don't want to pay through the nose for it at the same time, just for convience.

I am willing to do the work in lieu of the convience to save money, help!!

Thanks in advance.

David

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-04, 01:46 PM
fresca48
Visiting Guest
Re: Subfloor over cement

I have been checking for info on the same problem as you're having.
Someone had suggested an alternative to the SubFlor/DRI Core, at this URL...http://www.deltams.com/
" DELTA-FL is a uniquely dimpled, heavy-duty grey plastic membrane that keeps you and your family warm and comfortable in your basement rec room, or any room in the house with a concrete, slab-on-grade floor. It's a far better choice than a wood subfloor for so many reasons:

* COST: DELTA-FL is 40 to 50% cheaper than a
wood subfloor
* HEIGHT: 1 inches lower than a wood subfloor
* WARRANTY: comes with a 20 year product warranty
* EASY TO INSTALL: it's a snap for even non-handy types to install a floor using DELTA-FL."

I have not priced this DELTA-FL out as yet, and would solve the difference in elevations where the floor will meet ceramic tile.
I bought 1 SubFloor tile at HomeDepot $4.96. Laying it down next to the ceramic tile floor, plus adding engineered flooring on top, my transition point would be about 1.5". Not a good choice. I would also need to cut doors down.
DELTA-FL seems to be a better way to go cost and labor wise.
Hope this helps, Francesca

Old 09-27-04, 08:25 AM
farmall
Visiting Guest
The delta stuff may require a subfloor (t&g plywood anchored around the perimeter) for any flooring other than laminate.

I am using a similar product by platon its dimpled 25mil, 1/4 inch thick comes in 8 ft rolls about $.50 a foot with laminate.

Old 10-11-04, 03:57 PM
glensh
Visiting Guest
I am planning on putting Platon in my basement with laminate flooring on top (laminate padding in between of course).

Are you happy with your floor using Platon? Is it noisy when you walk on it?

I've never talked to anyone who has put laminate directly on Platon, so I would like to hear any experiences, good or bad.

Thanks.

Old 10-21-04, 04:24 PM
gpattins
Visiting Guest
Question

If you use one of these products, and have carpet in one room and laminate in another, how do you adjust for the difference in levels?

Old 11-09-04, 06:18 AM
daniel105
Visiting Guest
A question to farmwall

Where can I buy this product? I'm planning to install laminate on the basement floor. I'm in hershey,PA. Thank you.
Originally Posted by farmall
The delta stuff may require a subfloor (t&g plywood anchored around the perimeter) for any flooring other than laminate.

I am using a similar product by platon its dimpled 25mil, 1/4 inch thick comes in 8 ft rolls about $.50 a foot with laminate.