How to square up walls?

Old 09-10-04, 10:58 PM
slofgren
Visiting Guest
Question How to square up walls?

We have just demolished our 1940's kitchen to make way for new cabs, countertop, etc. After removing the particularly bad plaster and lath from one wall, we discovered studs that are out-of-plumb, out-of-square with an adjacent wall, warped, unevenly spaced, etc.

Now, in order to get ready for sheetrock, an 'L'-shaped set of cabs, and an 'L'-shaped countertop, I've got to square up, plumb, and even out the studs. I plan on using 1x2's and shims to build out the studs, but I'm not sure where to start when squaring up. Is there a correct way to do this, or do I just have to play around with each one until I get it right?

Old 09-11-04, 10:23 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would start at each end of the wall and nail a straight 2x3 or 2x4 stud along side the end studs perfectly plumb and then string lines at the bottom and top of the new plumb studs from end to end with a 3/4" spacer and then take all straight studs and nail them along side all the old out of plumb studs using a 3/4" spacer and moving each stud until the spacer hits the lines at the top and bottom and then nail them in.

Once you get them nailed in you can put a line in the middle and then proceed to do the same thing with the 3/4" spacer and nail the middle. I've found that to be the best way to straighten out these old walls other then building a new wall in front of the old but you loose alot of space that way. Shimming is okay but takes alot of time and is not a accurate as nailing studs along side the old ones.

Now do the same on the other wall making sure this wall is square off the new straight wall using whatever method 3-4-5 Or 6-8-10 or using a Construction Masdter Calculator to square the wall.

Sometimes once you've finished this method there's a bowed stud that sticks out fiurther then the rest, instead of furring out to that stud and loosing more space you can just trim it back with a circular saw or planer whatever way your more comfortable with.

There's always some wires or pipes that you will have to notch around but this method is faster and is a better job then using 3/4 furring strips with shims. This way you have solid 2x3 or 2x4 to screw your cabinets into to.

Hope this helps.

Joe Carola

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: